HW: ticket tale

Tom Clark tclark at PETRONET.NET
Sat Nov 10 22:58:18 EST 2001

Great story, Jill.  Glad it worked out for you.  I feel your pain! (having
travelled from the U.S. last year, only to have delayed flights and missed
the Astoria show last year by five hours.  That really sucked!  Glad you had
better luck.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jill Strobridge" <jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2001 5:43 PM
Subject: HW: ticket tale

So here I was offering to get someone a ticket for Glasgow.   No problem
I thought - just go along to the Virgin shop in Edinburgh and pick one
up..... but Edinburgh Virgin had sent all their remaining tickets to
Glasgow and had none left.   So I phone up Glasgow.   Nope - they'd all
sold out - but try again on Monday.   So I phone (from work) on Monday.
There's one left - Ok I take it!    Can you post it?  Nope.  Whaaat?
Nope.  You have to come and collect it.   You're joking?  All the way
from Edinburgh to Glasgow just to pick up one ticket?  Yep.   For f*cks
sake.....

ok leave work - 40 mins on the bus to the train station.   10 mins on
the platform waiting for...... nothing.   30 further minutes on the
platorm waiting for something to turn up  (NB this is supposed to be a
shuttle train service every 15 minutes!)  only this version stops at
every tiny station in places I never knew existed before it finally
arrives in Glasgow.   Too late.   As I leap off the train I know the
shop is already closed - but what choice is there?   A sprint out of the
station,  up the steps, under the arch, along the road and.......... the
doors are closed.   I shake them.  I hammer on them.   They stay closed.
The shop guys counting the till money keep counting the money.  They
turn their backs and are not going to listen.   Damn the lot of them!!!

So I'm angry now.  Fed up, irritated, peeved I pull out my mobile phone
(they do have uses!) and dial the shop.   No one answers.    Try again.
And someone responds!    I explode:  "I've come to pick up a ticket but
your shop is closed.  You refused to send it to me in the post and told
me I had to come and collect it.   So I've come.   And I'm here   And
I've made a special journey from Edinburgh and I paid £7.50 for the
train but it was delayed.    And now your bloody doors are locked and I
can't get in!!!"

Well - maybe I sounded like I was about to burst into tears (maybe I
was) but a miracle happened.   He said "wait there I'll be right down".
And he was.   He came down - got someone to unlock the doors, checked
the card number and, wonder of wonders, gave me the ticket.    So there
ARE nice people in the world and maybe it was because it was a Hawkwind
ticket - or maybe it was for some other reason but he did A Good Thing
there and though I've no idea what his name is - thank you sir!!

jill