OFF: "Space Does Not Care"

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 12 23:55:54 EST 2001

In a message dated 11/11/01 4:13:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
andygee at DIAL.PIPEX.COM writes:

> I'm sorry - I  am writing this because of a past venture I did which no-one
>  here ever got to hear about and which, without knowing where I'm coming
from
>  on this, is clearly causing more confusion than it's making sense - on this
>  thread, just imagine I never said anything and carry on.
>  On second thoughts, even that doesn't make sense - I wish I never started
on
>  this one..............
>  Andy G.

No hard feelings, Andy!
I sorta get yer thought. I mean, I could play more un-official live material,
but I don't have much; I mean, for one thing, they're re-issuing these as
official albums like crazy these days, w/Hawkwind. And my other favorite,
Zappa, well, there you've had the Beat the Boots and all the offocial live
albums for ages anyway...it just makes the idea of going to the trouble of
getting bootlegs seem a bit pointless...not that I wouldn't be interested
eventually...but it already takes enough time to process all the official
albums. Another thing is that I've not gotten many promos lately. I think
maybe bands or labels have sent discs, and then if I don't play 'em
immediately maybe think I wasn't into 'em. truth is, there's the ol'
proverbial backburner, and I eventually try to justify my obtaining freebies.
Now that I'm less emotional, and more analytical, let me just mention that
enjoying the show on a personal level is vital for me, playing the occasional
less format-fitting stuff i.e. the Mothers special...I'll admit that was a
bit indulgent on my part, but i have to break my own rules now and then to
keep it interesting for myself...plus, as I'd noted, I'd just seen the
"Grandmothers" the previous night and wanted to do something for them...and
Keith, I know you've only heard "Freak Out!", but you may be surprised at how
well some tracks might fit on a space-rock show <though for me it _is_ a bit
more than that> such as "Inca Roads" off One Size Fits All...and maybe when
listening to Freak Out! you never made it to "Return of the Son of Monster
Magnet", definitely a precurser to HW-styled space-rock I think...not that'd
you like it necessarily...)
 ...uh...anyway...promotion _is_ a concern for me as well, regarding SDNC.
One of the reasons I get a bit down at times is that even when I do get
repsonses, no one's ever said "hey, I tried to buy that album after hearing
it on your show"...and that would seem the only way to be certain that you're
helping these groups get a few extra bucks now and then. oh well...actually a
local did call just this week while listening to Upsilon Acrux and seemed
pretty bent on getting the album, so...

enough on that then...

Chuck