OFF: Motorhead/Another Perfect Day

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Nov 13 20:08:20 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:53:07 EST, Robert C. Mayo <RMayo19761 at AOL.COM> wrote:
>I was at lamour 2 of the 3 nights, and was very disappointed ...
>the guitar synth was simply not meant to be amplified at full Moto-Volume.
>The sound was terrible, as it was at the living room in providence, ri
>a few nights later. when he played that freaking thing my fingers went
>to my ears.

It's probably worth mentioning that in 1983, guitar synth technology was
definitely NOT "ready for prime-time".  Maybe in the studio, but not
onstage.  There were probably some VERY pissed-off (or fired) roadies/techs
on that tour.  (I'm sure many would argue that the guitar synth STILL
doesn't belong onstage, but I'd counter that whether or not you like the
sound/technique, at least they've worked out most of the technical glitches
by now.  And it DOES sound cool on APD.)

>also, as is well-documented in many places---he wouldn't learn much
>older material, resulting in a 25 minute set, which is just a plain-old
>rip-off ...

This is often a problem with getting someone "famous" to join your band
(either that, or the drummer wanting to bring a gong and play an extensive
solo).  Although I love Ian Gillan's story about being mistaken for Ronnie
James Dio because he was crouched down on the stage, trying to read "War
Pigs" out of his book of Black Sabbath lyrics through all the dry ice fog!

    -Doug (who owns more Motorhead albums than t-shits, but APD isn't one
of them)
     jasret at mindspring.com