OFF: Farflung MP3's

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Nov 14 07:35:45 EST 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 04:09:42 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:

>can be found here....
>
>http://www.krautrocknet.com/autobahn/mp3autobahn3.htm
>
>Grakkl (FAA)

I'd never heard of Farflung before I joined this list. After seeing them
mentioned repeatedly I checked out some MP3's on mp3.com and was
sufficiently impressed to hunt down a copy of "So Many Minds.." which
finally arrived a few days ago. It's excellent, a high-power fusion of
krautrock rhythms and Sabbath-style rifferama, definitely the rawer end of
the spacerock spectrum.  Two minor gripes: their cover of "Future Days"
isn't up to much IMHO - surprised they chose that one, it doesn't really
suit their style- I can imagine them doing "Yoo Doo Right" -although
everyone does that one I guess- or maybe "Full Moon On The Highway". But
tamper with the classics at your peril, oh ye who are young and headstrong.
The other criticism - why do they insist on having the vocals so low down
in the mix? It's not a bad little gimmick at first but on the more song-
based pieces it seems a waste to have barely audible vox, especially when
the lyrics are not bad (high praise from me) in a weird space UFO mythology
kind of way.

Anyway, griping aside, it's an excellent CD. "Raven That Ate The Moon" is
stunning in its full-length form: I'd only heard a truncated 4 minute MP3
before. And "Mother Orbis" is some of the best space/kraut jamming I've
heard. Do they ever play in the UK?

Also, whenever FF are mentioned here, people who like them make reference
to some 25 minute track that should be avoided at all costs. This of course
makes me want to hear it. What is it and why does it fill you all with
horror?

cheers

NM