OFF: new groups (and more)

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 14 21:48:53 EST 2001

In a message dated 11/14/01 3:43:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
henderson.120 at OSU.EDU writes:

> Yeah, definitely a different band.  Never heard of Skyclad (UK).  Are they
>  an original NWOBHM band (considering they have 10 albums or so)?

No, they've released about an album per year since '90. Not at all your
run-of-the-mill metal...lots of people have called 'em folk-metal (or
folk-thrash, when refering to the earlier stuff). Mainly due to the regular
presence of a violin. I kinda lost track of them since the mid '90s, but I
heartily recommend "The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth" (the thrashier stuff,
though still quite melodious), "Jonah's Arc" and especially "Prince of the
Poverty Line". The vocals are on the harsh side, but not death-metal and like
noone else's. All released on Noise Records (Europe). Also just as good are
Martin Walkyier's (vocals/lyrics) orig. band's first two albums: Sabbat's
"History of a Time to Come" and "Dreamweaver"...his voice hasn't been as
powerful since... (not to be confused w/Japanse death/doom band Sabbat).

>  P.P.S.  I don't know if Farflung has ever played in the UK.  I think Tommy
>  is British, isn't he?  (Or am I completely loopy on that one?  I'm usually
>  drunk when I've been near enough to hear him speak.)

He's from Glasgow. He told me some Mexican(s) gave him the nickname "Grenas"
(add ~), but I don't remember the whole story...was also drunk (natch) and
his accent is still a bit thick though I presume he's been living in the
States since P-hed forming in '87...or earlier...

>So I guess maybe he
>  still has relatives there?

dunno...

Chuck