HW: SG trivia--trainspotters only!

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 15 10:55:37 EST 2001

On 15 Nov 2001, at 16:36, Steve Pond wrote:

> Hi Ted, Yes, it`s the one with the semi circular scratch plate on the
> front with the controls on,

Is this also the one with a Les Paul-style pickguard?  Can't imagine
why they did that?

 they came with Bigsbys as standard, but
> both of mine have it removed,

Wise move!  My '70 had the lyre imprint vibrola, but I had that
removed, and a stop tailpiece installed--years before I started doing
my own luthiery.  Just missed the non-volute neck, put it does have
the headstock inlay you like and the crown inlays on the board...

 I like this model (Known in the trade as
> "The one they got wrong") because it has an ultra thin heck but a
> really thick heel, I bend the neck quite often so I like the extra
> strength this gives! ..boy would I look foolish if it snapped off mid
> gig..

I believe the critique was that it [and mine] have the smaller neck
tenon, theoretically limiting sustain and promoting weakness of the
neck joint.  I've never had any problems with mine...

> I don`t have any pics online fearing that would be a touch self
> indulgent.. (hehe) ..but now you've asked you just know I`m going to
> do it..

Please do!

> My original had standard Gibson PAF humbuckers with no name engraved,

I thought PAFs disappeared around '66?

> I replaced the bridge one with a Dimarzio super distortion, which
> sounds great, the new one came with Dimarzios in it, some folks would
> have been annoyed about that, I was happy..

Nothing wrong with 'em whatsoever.  My old Hamer string-thru
special has them and they're great...

> I`ll do an SG page later today, including the bizarre Black one I used
> on the QEH album..
>
> -S.
Cool!

theo