HW- Glasgow/Edinburgh/Newcastle

gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK
Fri Nov 16 10:08:29 EST 2001

Well, just about recovered from three nights of HW-accompanied space
travel! All great shows, with Edinburgh being (another!) one of the best
times I've seen 'em. Good set, with some nice surprises... but if only I
hadn't know what they were beforehand (the curse of reading this list!).
Wind Of Change had always been a favourite of mine, so great to see it back
again. The Edinburgh show was pretty intense since it was quite a small
place... amazing sound though, it all came together perfectly. Huw Lloyd
Langton I have to say was really good. Wasn't too keen on hearing of his
return... that early 80's sound is my least favourite HW period... but he
fitted right in, and played very well. Good to hear Moonglum again... HLL's
finest moment I think. Some great moments with both Simon and Huw soloing
away, and he wasn't just "noodling" away over the top of everything like it
seemed at times in the past.  A real treat to have Spirit Of The Age at
Edinburgh too... always a classic, and the first time I've seen Dave sing
it. All in all an outstanding gig... I was at it with a few Hawk-virgins,
so it was a perfect "now you understand why I travel about to see this
band" situation!!   Only negative thing was not doing a 2nd encore... it
was a good noisy crowd and one more song woulda finished it off  in style.
There was a feeling of "oh well then" when they didn't come back on, though
I understand this may not have been the band's fault... all these bastard
venues and their early finishes these days.
Newcastle was a pretty surreal experience, what with it being an opera
house and all. Been a long time since I've seen HW in a seated place, but
after two nights standing, one night sitting was fine. Though naturally
Newcastle's tallest, fattest man came out 'specially to sit in front of
me!        Have to say, I though HLL was a bit ropey tonight... all this
after me singing his praises to another "not overly keen on HLL"
person.  He lost his way in Levitation, and had trouble getting back into
it. A few other mistakes here and there, though nothing too drastic... just
an off-night I suppose. The whole gig didn't fire on all cylinders like
Edinburgh had, but with it being HW, it was still excellent of course! Just
not quite as much! The Gremlins were getting their revenge, with HLL's
guitar-strap falling off (those little rubber bits of Grolsche beer bottles
do the trick!) and Kris setting her hair on fire. Simon House's green
shorts and hole-filled tights were a sight to behold... classic! Ah, but
the dancer... when she(?) came on, I had awful flashbacks to the dancer on
the Live Legends video... the one that makes me go "arrrgh... WHY????"
every time I watch it, so did my best to tune her out of what I was
watching (Mr. Tall Fat Guy in front of me helped with that). So I barely
looked at her(?) while she was on. Now this is what's confusing me about
the "she" part. My girlfriend tells me it was bloke!! Really! What do
others reckon?! My g/f tells me she(?) had gaffa tape to hold her stomach
in, and that it was definitely male!  Was she hallucinating (possible) or
can others at the gig confirm this. Y'know, I *hope* it was a bloke, since
that's funny. Scantily-clad dancing girls just seem a bit "crap metal" to
me (where HW are concerned you understand... other occasions, well...).
This time we got Ejection for the encore, which saw everyone up on their
feet, and the white-shirted goon security having to give up on moving
people on. Like previous nights it just didn't seem enough though... it's
never enough!
There's no doubt about going to the Xmas show... can't wait! I hope
everyone else is enjoying these current shows as much as I have  :)

Dave

Ps. Mike, I think that was me you talked to briefly in that boozer by the
opera house. radio birdman b/ball hat and complaints about "un-civilized
opening hours"!!