HW Changing song titles

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Nov 16 15:36:58 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:00:04 -0500, Alex S. Garcia <mvdbase at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:
>*ponders* As you all know (well, maybe :-) I'm more on the BOC-side of the
>force -- uh, of the list :-)
>
>So anyway, I was wondering, has HW ever done it the other way around. That
>is, use the same music but with different lyrics? And if so, was the title
>also changed?

Oh yeah!  (Notwithstanding the fact that some people would claim *all*
Hawkwind songs sound the same, or that every other single they've released
since "Silver Machine" has been a rewrite of that song.)

There was the Nuclear Toy/Nuclear Drive combo live in the 80's (where they
sang the lyrics of one to the music of the other).

"Opa-Loka", an instrumental, gained lyrics and became "Uncle Sam's On Mars"
(although that's probably not exactly what you're asking for).

Same with "The Iron Dream" (becoming "Martian Disco Stomp" c.83 and "Are
You Losing Your Mind" c.96, as I mentioned in an earlier message).

And "I am the Eye That Looks Within" became "Blue Skin" in the same
way.  "Spacebrock" into "Money Tree" also.

At Strange Daze 98, the ones who were left played "Starfire Mountain
Dreaming", which mutated into "Hippy" (different lyrics, similar, but not
quite identical, music).

I'm not sure if it's the *exact* same music, but "Where Are They Now?"
sounds like it could have been the musical predecessor to "P.X.R.5".

Can anyone think of other examples?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com