HW: Service time league table

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Nov 19 16:01:50 EST 2001

DISCLAIMER/ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Pretty much all of the "information" I present
comes from Bernhard's gig track/personnel lists, so any research credit
belongs to him, not me.  I'm just processing the existing information ...

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 19:42:53 +0000, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Doug Pearson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 03:48:30 +0100, J D <Jeremy at DACOMBE.FSNET.CO.UK>
>> wrote:
>> > Has anybody ever compiled a league table of "service time in HW"?
>>
>> There's the personnel list that just gives the years that certain people
>> were involved in the band ...
>
>        Which is roughly what I aimed at, now corrected in the light of
>the information Doug kindly appended below, which I *id* read before I
>replied to the original message, but by the time I did that had forgot
>he'd included.

Another important note - the dates I list are the periods during which the
individuals in question *performed* with Hawkwind.  Many of them may have
*recorded* with Hawkwind on dates outside the ones I list, but like I said,
my information is coming exclusively from the gig lists ...

>You follow me? No matter. Anyway, one or two petty
>quibbles:

>> *1* gig (Stonehenge '83), and part of the 'Earth Ritual Preview' EP; I
>> think we may have a winner!
>
>        Steve Taylor scores lower with just one gig, I believe, the Ones
>Who Are Left performance;

Yep.  You are correct ...

>but, on the other and, wasn't that one track on
>the ERP, `Night of the Hawks', actually from the Stonehenge gig?

I don't think that any part of the 'Night of the Hawks'/'Earth Ritual
Preview' EP was recorded live.  There is that 'Stonehenge 83' boot LP,
though.

>> He should probably be treated as a guest, not a member.  Like Dumpy,
>> Arthur Brown, Samantha Fox, etc.
>
>        Dammit, I'd forgotten Dumpy. And moreover I don't have this
>document Doug is citing so if anyone wants to tell me wat dates Bemand and
>Dumpy were around between I'd be most grateful.

Dumpy guested at the following dates:
Reading                   | Festival                 |    24.08.1986
Finsbury Park             | Acid Daze                |    23.08.1987
Folkestone                | Leas Cliff Hall          |    21.09.1987
London                    | Hammersmith Odeon        |    21.04.1988
Pentrich                  | Coneygrey Showground     |    30.07.1999

Steve Bemand, OTOH, probably *shouldn't* be treated as a guest, since he
filled in for Dave on a full tour (I was confusing him with someone else).
He played 24 gigs, 12.03.1991 - 10.04.1991.

>> Paul Hayles - no studio, 15 gigs (3/78) plus 1 as Sonic Assassins 12/77
>
>        Really 03/78? Only I thougt he was part of the revived Hawkwind
>after the failure of the Hawklords venture, which was ongoing till nearly
>the end of that year surely?

No, he was the fill-in for Simon House on the second half of the spring '78
US tour.  Steve Swindells was the Hawklords keyboardist, and was replaced
by Tim Blake when Hawkwind regrouped.

>> Tim Blake - Levitation, 40 gigs (9/79-10/80)
>> Ginger Baker - Levitation, 46 gigs (10/80-2/81)
>> Keith Hale - no studio, 34 gigs (10/80-2/81)
>
>        Again, here, are you sure? That leaves only a month for Blake and
>Baker to be on _Levitation_ in...

Ginger Baker *joined* before 10/80, but like I said, the dates I listed
were all based on gigs, so he just didn't *perform* with Hawkwind before
10/80 (the Blake/Baker lineup only did the first 8 gigs of the tour, before
Tim was replaced with roadie Twink, then Hale).

>Also, Hale got some studio time in as we
>have `Dangerous Visions' to prove...

"Dangerous Visions" was recorded live, I believe 18.12.1980, LONDON,
LEWISHAM ODEON, same as most of side 1 of 'Zones' (except for the title
track and the Moorcock track) and all of the first LP of 'This is
Hawkwind : Do Not Panic'.

>> Fred Reeves - no studio, 38 gigs (6/83-7/84)
>
>        Didn't realise he was in that long! How come he managed to escape
>being recorded even live? Mischance (or chance)?

One more reason why I wish the full 'Earth Ritual' album had been
recorded.  It would've been great to have something from the Brock /
Bainbridge / Lloyd-Langton / Turner / Reeves / Deamer lineup.  Fred was a
*fantastic* keyboard player, and great songwriter, and probably could have
had a lot to contribute.  He's EXCELLENT on the 'Stonehenge 83' boot IMO.

>> Paul Cobbold - studio engineer, played percussion on CotBS, no gigs
>
>        Um, Dave Charles surely? (And is that the same Dave Charles wom
>the Manband archive pages claim has played in every Man-connected band but
>never Man itself? Because if so that would make connected Man and Hawkwind
>by personnel much easier than it currently seems to be). I think you're
>thinking of Cobbold's guest slot on _Out and Intake_.

Yes, you're correct there.  And I'm certain it would be the same Dave
Charles, since both Man and Rockfield Studios are Welsh, and closely
associated with one another.

>> Mick Kirton - no studio, 9 gigs (8/88-10/88)
>
>        Did Chadwick officially arrive in 1988 then? Or was the drum stool
>vacant till next year?

Richard's first gig was Bournemouth Academy, 28.11.1988.

>> Bridget Wishart - 83(!) gigs (6/89-4/91)
>
>        That is truly impressive. Where did the band suddenly acquire
>energy from?

Yeah!  The band was playing out a LOT then, and it shows in the quality of
their performances during that era.  That was Hawkwind's post-1978 peak
IMHO.  Although from reports of the current tour, it sounds like they're
now at their greatest peak since 89/90 (and Simon House has been in both
lineups ... hmmmm ...).

>> Crum - 33 gigs (10/97-11/97) plus 10 gigs (Agents of Chaos) in 88/89
>
>        Also around in 1988/1989. no? Or am I only dreaming?

Only the 10-some gigs with Agents of Chaos.  No official *Hawkwind* gigs.

>> Someone else can do the math for "length-of-tenure".  Obviously very
>> different results, since Ron Tree didn't play very many more gigs with
>> Hawkwind in six YEARS than Thom Crimble did with Hawkwind in six MONTHS.
>
>        And that's just shameful really.

Well ... I don't think 1971 is a fair comparison.  I don't think the
bandmembers were doing ANYTHING except gigging and recording back then ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com