HW: OFF: random thoughts - King Crimson

Frank Cinnella fcinnel1 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Wed Nov 21 22:32:14 EST 2001

Tom Clark wrote:

> Keith:
>
> One word.
>
> GO!
>
> You won't be disappointed.  King Crimson live will blow your socks off in
> any incarnation.  Robert Fripp alone is worth going.  Forget what the albums
> sound like.   Hope you don't smoke cigarettes, though.  They banned it at a
> show in New Orleans.
>
> Trey Gunn, but the way, was on the John Paul Jones album "Zooma", for what
> it's worth. (Actually, I think the album screamed for Plant to be a
> vocalist, but that's another story......).....
>
>John Paul Jones is opening for KC on this tour.  Unfortunately this incarnation does not include Tony Levin or Bill Bruford.  Saw the tour this Summer and was duly impressed with the quartet, though the "Double -Trio" works better.
If you have never seen KC you owe it to yourself, but do not expect too
many older tunes "Court of the Crimson King" or "Schizoid man" this time
around.  They are still doing "Red" as well as "Theela Hun Ginjeet" and
"Elephant Talk" from Discipline.  I was utterly fascinated by the
Soundscapes Mr. Fripp was able to paint over Trey Gunn's Warr Guitar
sounds;  much like seeing Hawkwind, after the show you will wonder
"where were the rest of the musicians?".
Be sure to go, and pay special attention to Trey Gunn's work.
Frank
New here and wishing I were in UK with the Hawks...but MQB and Harvey
and Nik certainly here in the States was just fine by me