OFF: motorhead/robbo revealed?

Robert C. Mayo RMayo19761 at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 25 01:20:28 EST 2001

stumbled across this last night; an interview from the 'another perfect tour'
period. bold-face emphasis is mine...

PHIL: Well, once Lemmy starts playing, he's sort of out there on his own, in
a way. It's something that came naturally; but when Robbo joined the band, we
started working it out a bit more. When Eddie was with the band I played more
with the guitar than I did with Lemmy, because he's not really a bass player.
Lemmy always plays so fast that it's always been down to the guitarist and me
to keep the rhythm and melody going. Lemmy is just non-stop playing all the
time, so for the highs and lows of the numbers, the ups and downs, light and
shade--whatever you want to call it--it's basically down to Robbo and myself.
I'd never played much before, so it's probably a lot more difficult for Robbo
than for me. He'd always played in bands that had a proper bass player, so to
speak.
Q: So, Robbo, do you enjoy the change, the challenge?
ROBBO: No. One of my most treasured possessions is the four boxes of Glenn
Miller 78s that my father gave me when I left home at 17. And I've been
working on synthesized music with Warren Cann from Ultravox. It took over a
year and a half to record and mix it; it was done on a 62-track--we slaved 3
decks--that's why it took so long to mix it. I've always been involved in
mixing. I mean, I can sit at a desk and engineer, if I want.
Q: So you like to do a lot of different things?
ROBBO: I always do that, always. People say, "What are you doing, joining
Motorhead?" I didn't say I like them. I hate Motorhead. But I respect them for
 playing shit for so many years and making money at it. And they're original.
I won't say Lemmy's a very good bass player, but he's very original. Lemmy is
Lemmy. And I know my style is very forceful and always has been. The minute I
left Thin Lizzy, they went straight downhill. Not so much because I left
them, but because they didn't spend the time trying to get someone in the
same vein to replace me. Very rarely have I had to ask, "What do you want
from me?" The music tends to change my approach because I'm classically
trained and I can change my approach from heavy rock to slow to… Well, I
played with the Average White Band.

nuff said...