OFF: Tape / CD Loops

Richard Lockwood rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK
Mon Nov 26 20:28:39 EST 2001

Many of you have participated in the BOC-L tape/CD swap loop and you know
how it works.  If know nothing about it, ignore the rest of this post.

I've just organised a similar loop on another list I'm on.  It's a list for
techies to discuss anything they want, provided it's non-techy.  To be
honest, you don't even have to be technically minded, but most of the
subscribers are)

The idea is the same - make a tape or CD of what you're listening to at the
moment, preferably the more weird/off the wall stuff.  I'm organising the
whole thing and doing the website (at http://richl.hn.org/tapeloop if
anyone's interested).

Here's the funny bit.  It'll make you realise why everyone thinks people
that work with computers are sad weirdos...

And I quote...

>Hi Richard

>OK, here goes. Sorry for the delay.

>I'm going for the award for 80's freak and cheesy music listener :-)

>- ---

>"WTF?" - S**** H***** for the Ferret Tape Loop
(name blanked out to protect the guilty)

>Babies - Pulp
>Gold - Spandau Ballet
>Everybody Hurts - The Corrs (Acoustic)
>Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? - Moby
>Rush Hour - Jane Wiedlin
>Space Cowboy - Jamiroquai (Club Mix)
>You See The Trouble With Me - Black Legend
>Bloke - Chris Franklin
>One More Time - Daft Punk
>Motorcycle Emptiness - Manic Street Preachers
>Whole Again - Atomic Kitten
>With or Without You - U2
>Groovejet - Spiller
>Glory People - Pulp

<end quote>

I personally find it quite scary that people think that this is cutting
edge/off the wall/slightly odd music.  And, they think that anyone would be
interested enough in their selection to go out and buy any of this stuff.
To be honest, you could sit at home and listen to Heart 106.2FM and hear all
this stuff.  Or maybe something as radical as Virgin Radio...

I don't expect Anubian Lights, Alien Planetscapes or rare Floyd tracks from
a techy list.  I DO expect a bit of imagination though.  (If you go to the
website, have a look at the list from one Steve Potz-Rayner - that's
imaginative)  Still, maybe at the age of thirty-four I'm just a sad old
idealist who thinks that people still find music important.  Obviously I'm
f***ing wrong.  The day Atomic Kitten or U2 are interesting is the day you
can all come to a boneyard in Huddersfield to see me lowered into God's own
Yorkshire soil in an urn.

Rant over - please someone tell me I'm not wrong!

Cheers,

Rich.