OFF: Tape / CD Loops

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Nov 27 15:28:43 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:33:37 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>Rich rants...
>
>>>OK, here goes. Sorry for the delay.
>>
>>>I'm going for the award for 80's freak and cheesy music listener :-)
>>
>>>"WTF?" - S**** H***** for the Ferret Tape Loop
>>(name blanked out to protect the guilty)
>>
>>>Babies - Pulp
>>>Gold - Spandau Ballet
>>>Everybody Hurts - The Corrs (Acoustic)
>>>Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? - Moby
>>>Rush Hour - Jane Wiedlin
>>>Space Cowboy - Jamiroquai (Club Mix)
>>>You See The Trouble With Me - Black Legend
>>>Bloke - Chris Franklin
>>>One More Time - Daft Punk
>>>Motorcycle Emptiness - Manic Street Preachers
>>>Whole Again - Atomic Kitten
>>>With or Without You - U2
>>>Groovejet - Spiller
>>>Glory People - Pulp
>>
>>Rant over - please someone tell me I'm not wrong!

Well (as Keith already pointed out) at least he ADMITS it's "cheesy music :-
)"!

>Hm...I dunno.  The only song here I've heard is "With or Without You." ...
>Surely this isn't/wasn't mega-popular music is it?  Atomic Kitten?  I'm not
>*that* out of it am I?

I would suspect that what we're seeing here is a difference between what's
popular in the UK (Rich's home) vs. the USA (Keith's home).  I know that
Pulp, the Corrs, Jamiroquai, Daft Punk & Manic Street Preachers are all
HUGE in the UK (and someone like Moby is probably bigger there than here in
the States), but more "alternative" in the USA (my flatmate pours Guinness
at an Irish bar in SF, so the jukebox there is weighted heavily towards
stuff that's popular in the UK ... I think it has the complete Radiohead
and Portishead discographies!).  And I'm not positive, but I'll bet that
the likes of Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and the other horrid nu-metal/hiphop-
rock bands that are currently huge (although possibly on the way out?) in
the USA are relatively unknown in the UK.

Much the same as when in the 70's, we Yanks were spared horrible crap like
Status Quo, while the Brits didn't have to put up with equally horrid stuff
like Styx.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com