HW: ebay Hawklogs

Jerry Kranitz jkranitz at AURAL-INNOVATIONS.COM
Wed Nov 28 04:57:08 EST 2001

Here's something else that annoys me about Ebay and shows how contradictory
they are. The auction you mention was permitted to proceed. But in my mail
order catalog I carry many titles that are released by the bands on CDR for
economic reasons. They simply can't afford to have a batch of 500+ CD's
manufactured. But these are still the OFFICIAL releases. But Ebay cancelled
my auctions immediately when I posted them for sale because they forbid CDR
sales unless you can state you are the copyright holder. I explained the
situation to them and that I'm an authorized distributor but they wouldn't
budge.
And I can't not explain the nature of the releases in my listings or I risk
pissing off buyers. In short, Ebay is concerned about bootleggers, but it's
easy to sell unofficial/bootlegged releases on Ebay while I can't help
artists that get little distribution get exposure through Ebay, which is
really a great selling source. They've simply classified CDR's as
across-the-board bootleg fodder.

Jerry Kranitz (jkranitz at aural-innovations.com)
Aural Innovations Space Rock E-Zine & Radio
http://Aural-Innovations.com