an Ozric tree has been planted

Dave Briggs dave at CRAZY-DAVE.NET
Wed Nov 28 12:08:07 EST 2001

Walthamstow has had a long history of cool gigs.
This is due in part to the Royal Standard pub. I've been there many times
since the early eighties to see some wicked bands including Hew lloyd
Langton and Inner City Unit among many others.

In the eighties and nineties it was a Hardcore biker pub policed by the
Essex Hells Angels and had a series of bands and an excelent Rock Disco
nights run by Neil Kay (The bloke who discovered Iron maiden). Paul Di
Anno, Iron Maidens original vox (and IMHO greatest), was a regular sight
proping the pool table up and telling anyone who'd listed "I was in Iron
Maiden I was. It was certainly Space central - The acid/speed was in
plentiful supply and most of the clientelle were "off their faces" (Me
included :-))

In more recent years they've cleaned up the Drug scene (mostly :-)) and the
Angels got bored or busted. Musicaly nowdays they do a lot of rock Tribute
bands which are mostly pretty professional - and a few "Wrinkley Rockers"
type bands such as Wisbone ash. Seeing the Cosmik Testicles there was a bit
of a treat.

This isn't the only venue in Walthamstow but it's probably got a lot to do
with why Walthamstow become Space-rock Central.

Hope this goes part way towards answering your question.
Regards

Dave - Silver Machine Webmaster

Silver machine - Hawkwind tribute Band - http://www.silvermachine.net

Royal Standard - Walthamstow - http://www.standardmusicvenue.co.uk/