BOC: Mirrors & OFF: Porcupine Tree

albert bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Oct 1 21:53:16 EDT 2001

>In a message dated 10/1/2001 3:57:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK writes:
>

>>  My problem with it is this mostly the production, but also the
>>  other songs on it, which are quite often only rivalled by `Debbie Denise'
>>  and `Make Love Not War' for BOC-discount-store schlock
>
>does anyone else out there hear 'youre not the one i was looking for' as a
>limp re-write of the cars' 'just what i needed'? am i crazy? the
>titles/lyrics even relate, in a boc-ish-ironic way...and the verse riff is a
>definite knock-off, as is the music under the chorus! Hmm...
>let's blame tom werman

Is this in the FAQ John? The story is: that I wrote that one in a
twenty minute rant about how I wasn't really wanting Werman as our
producer and when he heard it he LOVED it. Of course, I didn't
realize until after it was mixed that he'd never heard the Cars tune
which was by that time a big hit. If you realize that I was really
pissed all through the whole thing I think it makes it marginally
better. At least I had my joke on him! Not one of my most creative
moments (Good God! I'd written about half of the Brain Surgeons
current repertoire by then and it was all rejected!) but it was the
only thing that genius liked! Life is funny I guess. You will
probably never that song live, as opposed to Debbie Denise (it's
really a good song AoF production notwithstanding) which we did last
week and will most definitely do again.
Al