BOC: Mirrors & OFF: Porcupine Tree

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Tue Oct 2 08:44:14 EDT 2001

> > Although I can somewhat understand it, I have to put up a (small) protest to
> > the slagging Mirrors occasionally takes here.

LOL - just don't slag the almighty Club Ninja!  ;-)

Now, if this had been any other BOC forum, I would immediately expect a
number of people to rush to that album's defense.  Maybe it'll happen
here, but I'll just say that my intent of mentioning CN is not to
announce my own displeasure for the album, and yes it does have some
good songs (but ask any 6 BOC fans what their favorite CN track is and
you'll get 6 different answers) - my point is that it is regarded by BOC
fans *in general* as the band's weakest output.

> does anyone else out there hear 'youre not the one i was looking for' as a
> limp re-write of the cars' 'just what i needed'? am i crazy? the
> titles/lyrics even relate, in a boc-ish-ironic way...and the verse riff is a
> definite knock-off, as is the music under the chorus! Hmm...

Well, Morning Final (the BOC fanzine, not the song) indicated (which I
repeated in the FAQ) that the song was "inspired" by the Cars' song, "My
Best Friend's Girl".

> Is this in the FAQ John? The story is: that I wrote that one in a
> twenty minute rant about how I wasn't really wanting Werman as our
> producer and when he heard it he LOVED it. Of course, I didn't
> realize until after it was mixed that he'd never heard the Cars tune
> which was by that time a big hit.

Not in so many words - I mentioned the Morning Final quote - did they
get the Cars song wrong?  The only other thing I have in the FAQ
currently is the following: "Albert Bouchard claimed that his song,
"You're Not The One (I Was Looking For)" is in reference to using Tom
Werman to produce the album".  Perhaps I should update with a bit more
detail - of course every time I provide a bit more detail, the FAQ grows
by 10-20 pages... ;-)

> (Good God! I'd written about half of the Brain Surgeons
> current repertoire by then and it was all rejected!) but it was the
> only thing that genius liked! Life is funny I guess.

Now THAT is funny.  Of course, I can't imagine Eric and Buck singing
half the stuff you and Deb sing in tBS.  That isn't meant to slag those
guys, but some stuff just isn't meant for some to sing - a song that
many of us have been thinking about lately in the wake of Sept. 11,
"Divine Wind" (if he really thinks we're the Devil - then let's send him
to hell), is a perfect example.  Buck's laidback treatment of the vocals
on the song's demo is a stark contrast to Eric's delivery.

> as opposed to Debbie Denise (it's
> really a good song AoF production notwithstanding) which we did last
> week and will most definitely do again.

Hmm...maybe if you took out the "la la la la la la" part... ;-)

John