NIK: Photos...

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Oct 3 16:07:44 EDT 2001

Doug helps out with...

>On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 19:27:45 +0200, Denis Regenbrecht
><denis.regenbrecht at UNIBW-MUENCHEN.DE> wrote:
>>>Page 2 - must be an old Hawkwind guy - what's that he's holding in his
>>>hands?
>
>This photo is way to blurry for me to tell, I can't see how that person
>could be recognized.

Yeah, it doesn't look much better in the booklet itself...actually, if you
take that big image I put up there and then shrink it down quite a bit, it's
a little easier to recognise features.  Same is true with the others...I
just left them that large so as to not compromise resolution.

>>>Page 3 - Tommy Grenas and Nik
>>
>>It's not Helios and neither is it Tommy IMO (did he have long hair in the
>>past?). This could be one of the Scandinavian guys (from the Moor or 5:15
>>perhaps).
>
>It's definitely Tommy, he's always had long hair AFAIK.  Also, he (and
>Helios) would've been the only guitarists singing into a microphone next to
>Nik.

Yeah, I think he ties it back and 'hides' it sometimes, doesn't he?  I don't
remember him having a 'mane' whenever I've seen him at SD's.

>>>Page 9 - either Del Dettmar or Gavin MacLeod (seated), (standing, from
>>>left-to-right) Paul Fox (?), Paul Della Pelle (?), Rodney Horihata (?),
>>>Helios (or is that Tommy again?), Len Del Rio
>>
>>The guy beside Len is definitely Tommy (Helios' face is more slender),
>
>Yes, no question.

OK, good.  I was just confused by that photo, as what the hell is Rodney
Horihata (if that is indeed him)* doing in there?  He's only played in
Helios' band (not with Nik) from what I can tell and then only fairly
recently.  That's kind of why I thought the others must also include
Helios-related folk like Della Pelle.  So then the bassist guy (fuzzy photo
not shown) that I thought might be Fox on Page 5 isn't nearly so tall as the
guy second from left in Page 9, so that was my thinking as to why I thought
Della Pelle might be the tall dude, Stewart Copeland/Simon King-esque in
stature seemingly not a 'stretch.' :)

*I don't think it's Damo (who has actually performed with Farflung guys,
right Doug?), because there's a '98 photo of Damo in the Guru Guru box I
just got, and I'm pretty sure that ain't the same guy...this guy's too young
to be him anyway.

>>and I think it's Del,
>
>Again, no question.

Yeah, the Gavin MacLeod was a joke...anybody remember Captain Stubing?  All
he needs is the nautical cap.  :)

>I think Keith has Paul Fox identified correctly, but
>I'm not 100% sure of that.
>
>>>Page 11 - I dunno, Paul Fox again?
>>
>>Don't know, but could be.
>
>Len Del Rio and his Korg MS-10.

Hmmm...I've never seen Len look so menacing!  He's always seemed so kind and
friendly to me.  :)  And leave it to Doug to identify the electronics the best!

Wondering why it is that I'm caring about who's who in the photos, which I
suppose means that even with so many 'new' releases in the HW camp (some of
which are quite good no doubt), there really isn't very much *new* stuff
coming forth from *anybody*!  Well, the Death Generator album (how many
years in the making?!?) will hopefully see the light of day.  Then maybe
they'll get on with that Earth Ritual next!  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  OK, so now who are the fans in the audience on (the actual) Disc One
photo showing Nik honking away (apparently) whilst strolling in front of the
crowd? Anybody recognize themselves there?