HW: irc chat transcript

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 5 17:14:36 EDT 2001

...well, Rik is putting up the official one on www.hawkwind.org.uk,
but here is the dirty transcript of the irc chat just now,
in case anyone wants to see it...

Arin

(begin transcript)

> so will you folks be reclaiming the domain name for hawkwind.com?
<ormuzd> so... www.hawkwind.com? was it because you wanted mission control to be THE site? or have you just answered this while i was disconnected?
<ormuzd> ok arin
> my message came through on the yahoogroups list.  boc-l is being a bit slow, though.
<Hawkperson> We are saying that Mission Control is the official page, we did not want to stop Welcome to the Future site, just asked them to return domain Hawkwind.com to us and rename thier site
*** Guest48684 (gwion at m521-mp1-cvx1a.man.ntl.com) has joined channel #hawkwind.org.uk
> tom -- we are talking about hawkwind.com
<Hawkperson> They refused to hand it over and closed their site
<Guest48684> hi all
<ormuzd> yeah that seems fair enough
*** Guest48684 is now known as gwion]
<ormuzd> hi tom
*** gwion] is now known as gwion
<gwion> oh yes?
> Dave -- I think that is a wise choice.  Particularly since you have a much better claim for the domain name.
*** MrJolly (~user at pc-62-30-175-33-en.blueyonder.co.uk) has joined channel #hawkwind.org.uk
<Hawkperson> Their site is mainly dealing with EBS records, and past members activities, they have no direct line to the current band or what the current band are doing
<gwion> who's they?
> ...and despite reasonable attempts at publicity, most folk still look to a .com name first rather than a .org
<ormuzd> it seems that by closing the site they are trying to make you look like the bad guys
<gwion> hello Arin, Nick, Dave & MrJolly
> at least, in the announcement that went out over the mailing lists.
<Hawkperson> Yes, this seems to be their attitude
> ...but you folks have the legitimate claim!  it doesn't make you the bad guys here.
<Hawkperson> At the moment there are things being endorced by this site that Hawkwind do not want anything to do with
> Will you be releasing something official to present your side of things?
<ormuzd> never a dull moment in the great Hawkwind intergalactic soap opera!!
<Hawkperson> Unfortunatelly they are using the band's name for their own greedy purposes
<ormuzd> yes the Greasy truckers thing, that event looks dodgy as hell
<gwion> I've justlooked - rather a short and to the point message
> very dodgy.  God only knows who is going to end up performing at the greasy truckers thing.
> I believe that there is now a precedent for reclaiming hawkwind.com in the courts if necessary.
<Hawkperson> It is advertised as the Hawkestra, which gives the impression of being Hawkwind endorsed which it is not.
<MrJolly> advertised as "members of the hawkestra"
<Hawkperson> Yes we will reclaim domain name through the courts if necessary
<gwion> I saw them in Blackpool
<ormuzd> they also still have the Deviants on the fliers, despite Mick Farren saying they won't be there
<Hawkperson> The date is the same and a cd & vid will be released which we believe will be misleading
<gwion> I had no problem finding a seat
<ormuzd> well they have used all sorts of things to try to make it look official- i got  aflier in the post saying "there are now 2 bands called hawkwind"!!
<Hawkperson> Could you send us that flier asap either by email or to po box
<MrJolly> Do you have "Hawkwind" registered as a trademark? easy to get the domain if you do..
<ormuzd> yeah no problem, i can send it- it will piss you off though.. it pissed me off
<ormuzd> what is the p.o.box address? i don't have a scanner to email it
<Hawkperson> send it by email if poss tonight, it will be at lawyers by tomorrow!
<Hawkperson> PO box 28 Honiton, E. Devon EX14 8AP
<ormuzd> !! if i had a scanner i would, i will send it by snail mail tonight
<ormuzd> ok will send there
> nick: most copy shops have scanners and whatnot.  You could probably scan it there and then email it....
<ormuzd> so are you actively engaged in legal action already then?
<Hawkperson> Yes we are
<ormuzd> yes i can try that tomorrow arin, that's a good idea
<ormuzd> well good luck with the legal fight!
> it's easier for those of us online to keep track of current hawkwind stuff.  I can certainly see how the false advertising can muddy the waters significantly for others.
> welcome flymo.  we are chatting about hawkwind.com
<Hawkperson> We are pissed off with all the stuff going on, misrepresentation, imposters, shadey mail order schemes, and people trying to make a quick profit on the back of all the hard work that we do.......Now it has to stop and we are taking action!
> is there anything that we can do to help?  Other than try to get out correct information?
<Hawkperson> Ormuzd, could you let us know what date flier was sent?
<flymo> Hi
*** alienimages (hawkwind at 12.23.139.97.dul.nc.chartermi.net) has joined channel #hawkwind.org.uk
<alienimages> Greetings :)
> welcome alienimages.  We are chatting about hawkwind.com now.
<Hawkperson> Yes, united we stand....keep eyes and ears open and support the true Hawkwind!
<ormuzd> i'm just looking at it now Hawkpeople... it doesn't have a date but i got it about a month ago
> nick: does it have a date from the postmark?
<ormuzd> i can send you another one i was given at the Orb/Gong show last week too, alythough on that one it says "Hawkestra"
<ormuzd> didn't save the envelope arin!
<ormuzd> i am an avid recycler! so good reasons for not saving this stuff
<ormuzd> andy garibaldi could tell you when it was sent out
<Hawkperson> Yes please send that one as well, they try to keep this stuff away from us
<Hawkperson>  1L  2a  3u  4  5g  6h  7s   9O  8u  10t   13L 14o  15u  12d
<ormuzd> yup no problem
> perhaps someone else on the list has a postmark date.
> welcome back tom.
<ormuzd> i'm sure quite afew people on the list will have receieved this stuff, yes
> well, we can inquire.
<gwion> thanks Arin - tried to run too much at once there
> nick: what does the flyer say?
<ormuzd> on a happier note, can i ask if you were surprised to be asked to play the RFH? Personally i was amazed that they were putting on a series of psychedelic nights. Seeing Gong and the Hawks at the RFH was not something i ever expected!
<Hawkperson> Well we are off now, hope this gave you a bit of an insight to what is happening, we will arrange an official chat early next week with some other band members
<ormuzd> arin- i will get it scanned somehow and email it to you as well to satisfy your curiosity!
<alienimages> Sorry about the nick spam. Blink seems to be a registered nick on this server. :(
<gwion> I think I'll go and see the SF Sorrow night there - I bought that LP 30 years ago
> well, thank you for stopping by and chatting with us.
<Hawkperson> Yes it is nice to be asked to play there as I have never performed there before. I did play at the Albert Hall on the Buskers tour many years ago haha  1L  2a  3u  4  5g  6h  7s   9O  8u  10t   13L 14o  15u  12d
<ormuzd> possibly before i was born dave...
> thanks nick.
*** ^HawkBot^ (xxx at star-pix.demon.co.uk) has joined channel #Hawkwind.org.uk
<^HawkBot^> hey
<ormuzd> hi rik
<^HawkBot^> hey all
<^HawkBot^> val here too
<MrJolly> I saw Calvert next door at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.. that was sreal..
<MrJolly> sureal too.. :)
<gwion> evening
* ArinK is jealous if everyone getting to go to RFH.  Not in the cards for me, alas.
<ormuzd> yeah? the gig that was made into the live album?
<MrJolly> yes
<MrJolly> he did 2 sets.. the one on the album & one of all HW material
<gwion> I remember seeing Hawkwind at the St David's Hall in Cardiff in 1983 - that normally hosts opera
<Hawkperson> Have you got the Trevor Hughs, Bob Calvert Frendz issue with poems and stories etc?
<ormuzd> arin you are coming to the UK fairly soon though, yes?
<flymo> I thought the show WAS the albert hall. Opps. How far away is the RTH. Never been there
> yes, i'll be over in november
<gwion> I saw Wagner's Valkyrie there the week after
<ormuzd> RFH is on the south bank, nearest tube is embankment
<ormuzd> don't go the albert hall flmo, you might be disappointed!!
<flymo> Cool. That`s actually easier for me. Good job I found out!!!
<ormuzd> ihaven't got that comic- anyone got it?
<^HawkBot^> the museum of the moving image is there too
<flymo> I would have too. Never checked the tickets!
> has anyone scanned in those issues of Frendz?
<ormuzd> and the salvador dali museum is nearby... highly recommended!
<MrJolly> and a huge pizza express.. sorted. :)
<Hawkperson> Did you all know that Mike Moorcock will be making his live telephone appearance from Texas
<^HawkBot^> and the london eye
<ormuzd> there's aguy on the lsit who has a comics site and he's scanned in some hawk-related stuff from frendz
<gwion> there you are - a whole day out
<ormuzd> hooray for Mike M
<gwion> what's he going to do?
> cool!  that worked out very well the last time Mike called over...
<ormuzd> he was ace at the astoria gig- that was the best Sonic Attack i ever heard you guys play
<flymo> I wish. Been meaning to see the Dali for ages but won`t finish work in time :(
<Hawkperson>  12Bye-Bye 4 ormuzd, MrJolly, gwion, flymo, alienimages, ^HawkBot^, ArinK!
<Hawkperson> Yeah, must go and mail Mike now and find out..........bye all
<ormuzd> tom- Gong were on cracking form at the RFH the otehr night, i think i'm gonna try to make it up for the Nottingham gig
<alienimages> Be well, Hawkperson :)
<ormuzd> bye hawks! take care
<^HawkBot^> ?
<gwion> good night, Dave
<^HawkBot^> -=º 13Hawkperson º=-: arly night eh?
<^HawkBot^> where'd my e go?
*** Signoff: Hawkperson (Quit: Space Is Deep.. håWK§©®ïþt)

(end transcript)
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559