HW: .com

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 8 07:42:01 EDT 2001

Dan Witt writes:

> Didn't the Brock camp release something last year in this same manner.
> What was it Glastonbury 90, or some such thing where a dog barking was
> more clear than the music? Not sure if that's it, I didn't buy that
> one cause of the reports I heard on the sound.

Yep, it was an audience tape from Glasters. I've talked to the guy who
did the recording. Apparently some travellers were deliberately running
their dogs around him, and the rest of the gig, to disrupt things. I
figured that's where Dave got the "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" title from,
but only Dave can confirm that theory ;-)

The sound isn't great, though not down to Yuri Gagarin levels, but it is
an interesting gig.

> Also, I don't know if Dave Brock has any right to that domain name.
> Last I heard it was a common practice to register domain names and
> force people to buy the rights.

Which is what the "One In A Million" case referred to in the letter from
Hawkwind's lawyer referred to. It's ruled illegal to do this in most of
the obvious circumstances.

> This wasn't being done here, but
> probably could have been.

I expect that the annoyance is at Nik's gigs and advertising of CD's. I
like Nik. He's a nice guy and he does tend to put on stuff for the fans.
However he does push it on trading on Hawkwind's reputation and he is
pretty bad for putting out poor recordings on CD. OK, he has to make a
living too, but he could make it a lot clearer that the gigs aren't the
official Hawkwind and that the CD's certainly aren't. That said, I think
the endless releases by Dave Anderson's crew have done a lot more damage
to Hawkwind's reputation. I'd rather see that stopped now that the
lawyers have been asked to Choose Their Wigs.

FoFP