Divine Wind (was: Re: Hassan Ibn Sabha in the Sunday Times)

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Oct 8 14:27:45 EDT 2001

On 8 Oct 2001, at 14:07, Jean Lansford wrote:

> > I'm curious at the outrage stirred by Divine Wind.  I
> > assume that folks are taking exception to the video.  The
> > song originally struck my as being pro-Japanese.
>
> And it originally struck me as being anti-Christian Fundamentalist, as
> a lot of the images seemed drawn straight from the anti-rock music
> tent revivals I was suffering through at the time.

I just watched the video again a few minutes ago.  In the fine BÖC
tradition, it's suitably ambiguous.  As the images shift, it can
alternately be viewed as militaristic and pacifist, pro-west or pro-
east.  The point of the artist, no doubt...

theo