OFF: The Science Behind the Song Stuck in Your Head

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Oct 10 01:29:29 EDT 2001

>I've got a Silver Machine...  ;)
>
>http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-000080020oct07.story?coll=la-news-sc
ience

That's an interesting article.  Though I'm not sold on that repetitive
thing.  Though I think 'repetitive' in what they're talking about is not the
same as 'repetitive' as in the nature of 'blanga' music, 'cause that sort of
thing doesn't really stick in my mind.  I think they mean repetition of
"soundbite melodies" moreso.

When I essentially "sing in the shower" for no reason, it's almost never
something like Hawkwind.  Recently, the tune fragments that I've been stuck
on are things like Porcupine Tree's "Pure Narcotic" (No narcotic in my
brain, can make this go awaaaaaayyyyyy....I'm sorry that....I'm sorry that
I'm not like yooouuuuuuuu) - and I don't even really like that song very
much.  And for some reason, Supertramp's "Asylum" (Please don't arrange to
have me sent to no asylum [bad grammar...ed.], I'm just as sane as anyone.),
but then that might have to do more with me thinking about the truth in
those lyrics.  Or perhaps my doubt about the truth in those lyrics, I dunno.
The one BOC song that I'm frequently stuck on is 'I love the Night.'  But
then I really like that song and sometimes think of it for that reason if
walking somewhere at night.

Late night TV jingles are hard to ban from the mind too, and thankfully
1-800-Safe-Auto is no longer using that insidious jingle that they tortured
us here in Columbus with for about five years.  You too?  Sorry I just
brought it up again.  :)

Grakkl (FAA)