OFF: Velvet Underwear

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Oct 10 15:45:25 EDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:25:42 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>>>Velvet Underground - Final V.U. - $40.00
>>
>>NB There is no Lou Reed on this set!  It consists entirely of the post-
>>Reed, Doug Yule/Willie Alexander version of the band!  You have been
>>warned!
>
>As I was just discussing with Doug off-line, I don't really know what the
>post-Reed Yule-fronted VU was like.  I only know the 'hits' from Loaded
>(Sweet Jane, Rock and Roll) that were Reed songs, and I know nothing of the
>album 'Squeeze' that was recorded under mysterious conditions in the UK by
>just Yule and some questionable contributions from session musicians,
>including (or not) Ian Paice of Deep Purple.  Has anyone ever heard this
>album?  I guess it's pretty steep to get an original vinyl, and no CD
>releases have apparently been produced.

There's a website devoted to this album that I *think* (I could be wrong)
is run by a guy who's on the Yahoo! Hawkwind list.  You might try posting
this query on that one (or do a google search for "Velvet Underground"
and "Squeeze") ... there was also an article on the post-Reed band in a
back issue of MOJO (as I mentioned in our offlist discussion).

>>V.U. Bootleg Series Volume 1: The Quine Tapes
>>Rating: 9 out of 10
>>Synopsis: A rare portrait of one of rock's most important and
>>influential groups
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Methinks if you had a choice, you'd go with this boxset over the Cap'n Trip
>one, at least as a start.

Uh, yes.  Absolutely no question.  I'll be standing in line to pick one up
when it's released next tuesday.

>ObCD: Sabalon Glitz - Ufonic (does this band still exist?
> Any other recordings?)

I don't think that Chris Holmes has done anything remotely spacerock in
years.  (Funny, I was going through some old pictures this weekend and
found some of me, Chris & Carla from Sabalon Glitz [who now lives in
Australia AFAIK] messing around with some of his synths ... also found some
of me playing in Philadelphia in a band that included Chris Forsyth of
W.O.O./etc. in '94)  He (Chris Holmes) was recently in the news for being
in Billy Corgan's post-Smashing Pumpkins backup band when they played on
the last-ever episode of the 'Bozo the Clown' TV show in Chicago!  I
suspect that he came to the same conclusion that Grenas & Del Rio did ...
there's no money to be made in spacerock!

There was a Sabalon Glitz 7" that preceded the CD.  I also have, somewhere,
a live tape of SG doing "Spirit of the Age" in a very techno/trance-type
version that sounds similar to one of the Astralasia remixes (except that
this was recorded before those remixes were released).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com