HW: Nik Turner and friends (Hawkwindwannabes)

dave hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Wed Oct 10 17:11:47 EDT 2001

I wasn't going to post on this - but here goes.
I first spoke to Nik (and others in ICU) in 79 - even then he was bleating on about he was the true Hawkwind spirit. He rejoins in 84, and lo, portrays himself as the spirit of Hawkwind. They all fall out in 85 - Nik complains it's unfair, unfair. Yet at that time he was hiring out gear fo himself in Hawkwind's name, I've heard. Also Hawkwind at 'Henge Dave Brock does the work, Nik again tries to take the credit as the spirit behind it all. What I do know is that I was at Hawkon in 85 - and had the pleasure of working behind Trev Hughes stall for most of the event. Now what I can say is this - I've met a number of Hawkwind members and ex-members over the years (although they won't remember me - and why should they?) - and all have been exceptionally nice to me. However, at that event every single one with the exception of Huw, Harvey, and Nic Potter, badmouthed Dave Brock behind his back which to my mind is piss poor. But lo and be-f***ing hold when there's a chance for them to join the queue to join the band,they are in there - and no shame about it. I think the most honest ex-Hawk I've met is Lemmy, what he said in private he said in public.

I'll tell you this some of the official HW output has been poor - but you know what I did guys, I didn't buy it! I didn't treat it like some personal affront and as for the unofficial releases and Nikwind stuff - I don't buy it. It's just not for me. There's stacks of other artists out there who are interesting. And as for being a "Kollector" - grow up kids. Hawkwind don't owe me anything - they aren't some kind of counter-culture beacon, I left that kind of stuff when I was thirteen. Those who view them in such a way need to look to themselves - big time. Hawkwind are about music: rock - space rock. Those who say: I really looked up to you and now I don't, therefore, I'm not going to buy you records - eh, get a life. I love the music when it's on form,  and the people when I meet them, I like. But as for being some kind of "totem", please, that's reserved for others - no disrespect to Dave, Huw, and co.

The final analysis is pretty easy to make - and I think Dave has made it. It is this:
1. there are those who are talented - and there are the rest. The talented are:
Dave Brock
Huw Lloyd Langton
Simon King
Lemmy
Simon House
Bob Calvert
Adrian Shaw
Tim Blake
Alan Davey
Richard Chadwick
Harvey Bainbridge
Jerry Richards
Captain Black

obviously Bob isn't available `and Simon K is "retired". Dave I suppose will pick those who he wishes to use - and why not.

2. lack of official activity has created a void for imposters to fill
Hence official tour and future recordings

3. get out there and kick some arse Dave!! Give it some serious welly on the tour!

As for Nik and ICU - didn't they part company because the band were sick and tired of him not writing songs but taking all the credit. Sound familiar.

Don't get me wrong Nik - nice guy. Shite musician. As for being a shyster and hustler, others will have to post.

See you all on the tour.

Dave

````