"One by one..."

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Oct 11 06:32:07 EDT 2001

Space Wreck writes:

> Arthur C. Clarke's short story, "The Nine Billion Names
> of God", was first published in 1953.
>
> He wrote some fantastic short stories, IMO.  Check out
> any anthology that includes the above and "Rescue
> Party", from 1946.

Yeah, "Rescue Party" and "The Last Command" have kicking last lines. I
liked the one about the walk home in the dark on the Moon too. Was that
"The Other Side of the sky"?

The other great short SF writer IMHO was "A.E.Van Vogt", I covered him,
Clarke, and Wyndham for my English higher exam at school, though
admittedly this wasn't a formal arrangement and went considerably
against the advice or agreement of my teacher.

FoFP