OFF: Velvet Underwear

John McIntyre mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU
Thu Oct 11 09:04:12 EDT 2001

Bob Lennon wrote:

> In a message dated 10/10/2001 3:21:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> henderson.120 at OSU.EDU writes:
>
> > As I was just discussing with Doug off-line, I don't really know what the
> > post-Reed Yule-fronted VU was like.  I only know the 'hits' from Loaded
> > (Sweet Jane, Rock and Roll) that were Reed songs, and I know nothing of the
> > album 'Squeeze' that was recorded under mysterious conditions in the UK by
> > just Yule and some questionable contributions from session musicians,
> > including (or not) Ian Paice of Deep Purple.  Has anyone ever heard this
> > album?  I guess it's pretty steep to get an original vinyl, and no CD
> >

> I purchased it (I beleive in the 70's) having no idea at the time what the
> hell it was, so no John, no Lou, played it once and gave it to my brother the
> same day.
> I barely remember it being not very interesting...and not very V.U. like.
> maybe a listen 25 years later would help?   NOT

Personally, I think Doug Yule did a decent job of imitating Lou, at least on the
Amsterdam recording I have.  The passion is lacking, but I feel that's been the
case with Lou for a long time, at least in the studio.  So you could say
_Squeeze_ was just ahead of it's time. (-8  It's not as bad as people say, but
it's not good either.  Just pretty bland.

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University
mcintyre at pa.msu.edu