HW: RFH

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 12 10:28:14 EDT 2001

In message <200110111314.JAA15511 at listserv.spc.edu>, Alastair Lee
Sumner <als at POSTMASTER.CO.UK> writes

> thoughts of war

Indeed. My blood ran cold when they played "Assassins of Allah". I think I
would have preferred it if that song had been dropped from the set. But
overall I really enjoyed it: made a rapid decision to go down to the front -
that was the key thing as the sound and atmosphere were much better there.
I had no problem hearing Huw (who was superb) or Simon, although like
everyone else I couldn't hear Jez when he first came on, although heard him
no problem later. The phone link with Mike Moorcock clearly wasn't
working properly and it seemed to me that they gave up on it during
"Damned By the Curse of Man".  Shame, as I wondered if that and "The
Watcher" had been chosen for their topicality. Anyway "The Watcher" was
immense- great vocals from Alan-  and "Sonic attack" was extraordinary,
going into a trancey rhythmic jam, pretty much a whole new take on the
song. There was a lot of jamming, especially during Golden Void which was
the track of the night for me.

Not sure if anyone's posted a full setlist so here's my attempt:

Lighthouse
Levitation
Spiral galaxy
Moonglum
New Jerusalem
Angels of death
Sonic Attack
The Watcher
Motorway City
Hurry On Sundown
Damned By the Curse Of Man
Hassan I sabbah
Ejection

Assault and Battery
Golden Void

It was a bit of a giggle to see a HW crowd filling the RFH. No thanks
however to the knobhead behind me who kept shouting "Saddam bin
Davey"- he thought it was a great joke but it didn't seem very witty to me-
or the other knobhead who kept screaming incoherently ("Huwy! Huw-
eeee!! Play a guitar solooo!!") during the quieter passages. You gotta take
the rough with the smooth I guess. An excellent gig, surprised to see that
others didn't enjoy it much, but there's no doubt the sound was highly
variable.

Random final thoughts- are we going to see any 90s material return to the
set?! Maybe LSD and/or Clouded Vision? This line-up would do them pretty
well I'd think.

I think the Xmas party on the 20th is the same night as Gong's festive
knees-up at the Scala- what a terrible dilemma- however the Hawk-bash will
take precedence for me. Gong might need to think about re-scheduling!
--
Nick Medford