BRAIN: Review of Billy Hilfiger Tribute

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at ACMENET.NET
Fri Oct 12 16:15:04 EDT 2001

Curses! beaten by someone else!
I have a review coming myself (since I was there by grace of God and the Brain
Surgeons) but its a bit.... "longer" as I'm wont to write a bit.
For now, ii'll fill in the blanks.

> >You know I'm not sure of all the performers, but my recollection was:
> >1.  The Brain Surgeons - actually the first song was just me and Albert
> >playing "Billy's Song",  a song Billy wrote for the Brian Surgeons.  Followed
> >by "The Last Angry Woman"  a song that Billy co-wrote for that group.  And
> >the third song was "Godzilla",  a BOC staple.
Yep. Last Angry woman stomped far harder than usual. and thats saying somethin'!
Dave wished they could have played more.

> >2.  Leslie West and Mountain, with Corky Laing and Richie Scarlet.  A great
> >tight set ending with one of Billy's favs "Mississippi Queen".  They played
> >"Theme from an Imaginary Western" too.
Theme From... was the second song. it had a markedly different tempo than the
studio version on the 1st record. Leslies vox and guitar were perfect.
Mississippi Queen was LOUD :)

> >3.  The X Brothers with Buck Dharma on guitar and brother Albert on vocals
> >and cowbell.  "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll"  and "Reaper"  good set.
> >The first time in 19 years that three of us founders of BOC performed on
> >stage together.
Cowbell was on Reaper. And done a la the studio version.  during the end guitar
run, Albert also hit the cymbols (sp!).

This was not an expected part of the show, upon talking with DF and DH. Can you
imagine how mind blowing those two songs were????????
I cant and i was there... it was too amazing.

> >4.  Next was King Flux, featuring Richie Stotts of the Plasmatics and Marky
> >Bell of the Ramones.  Andy Hilfiger played bass and Michael H. sang the
> >vocals.  Stones songs "Jumpin Jack Flash" and "The Last Time"
Yes. good punky Last Time too.

> >5.  Bouchard, Dunaway and Smith playing  Under My Wheels and The Real
> >Thing/Fallen Angel medley.  Broke a string at the end of Under My Wheels, a
> >big fat A string, so you know I was playing hard.  Deborah, Albert wife, lent
> >me her guitar, which sounded great, for the medley.
Fallen Angel was storming.
I mean really really reallly good. from the dust it rose on high by several
thousand feet (8 miles in fact)

> >6. A Set by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom  featuring members of the Dictators.
> >"The Party Starts Now!"  "A Haircut and Attitude"  some of their great songs.
Manitoba was clad in a swanky red white and blue leather jacket with his name
on the back and the cords which fall from the arms of the jacket(argh! noun
escapes me!!)

> >7.  Ricky Byrd (Joan Jett and the Blackhearts)  played Hunka Hunka Burnin
> >Love.  With myself on bass.  The drummer and 2nd guitar was guys from the
> >house band Rock Candy.
Great extended guitar solo.... everyone was digging the song. Byrd said Billy
loved it when he played

> >8.  Even more jammin with Michael Fredo, and Michael H doing more Stones
> >songs.
Satisfaction and Honky Tonk Women and Brown sugar

> >9.  Short set with the house band and Michael H.  I can only remember the
> >Cheap Trick song "Hello There"
and I think they did Surrender too.
yes they did.

> >9.  Even more jammin with the X Brothers.  The first song was Simple Man and
> >Lynyrd Skynyrd song that Billy used to sing, and he recorded with the Brain
> >Surgeons.  Last song I can remember was "Sympathy for the Devil" with Andy on
> >vocal.  Even as I left at 1am the band was still cranking it out.
I think Joe was around as well for Satisfaction.
I left at 2 and people were still playing... i left during Born to be wild at 2
am.
I'll cap it off like this:

THIS WAS THE BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER BEEN WITNESS TO. EVER. There are no real
words that could capture how amazing the whole time was other than Love of
Billy Hilfiger in song and the family of Rock and Roll.

Bolts of Ungodly Vision.