Ultima Thule *IS* Wind of Change

Sat Oct 13 12:52:59 EDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 07:01:07PM +0100, Mark Edmonds wrote:
> Replying to this somewhat belatedly, I'll have to give it another listen. I
> didn't recall the similarity last time and I think the riff to Ultima Thule
> is used towards the end of the main track on the TD album Alpha Centauri.
> Certainly, I remember thinking "Oh, is that it?" after reading about UT for
> so long but this assumes my recording is correct (Electronic Orgy CDs).
>
> > I heard Tangerine Dream's Ultima Thule single for the first time last
> > night. Unless someone has slipped a demo copy of Wind of Change onto my
> > disc then Hawkwind practically lifted Wind of Change straight from it.
> > It was quite a surprise!

        The melody line from `Ultima Thule Teil 2' crops up again during
`Fauni Gema' on _Atem_, I think, but I don't hear `Wind of Change' in it
myself. It's not a particularly difficult chord sequence to replicate, I
guess. But I think I know the bit on the end of `Alpha Centauri' that you
mean and *that* I can see a similarity to `Wind of Change' in. I'm still
not convinced it has to be a lift though; it's a fairly basic progression,
surely, albeit used to great effect here by Mr Brock? Yours,
                                                             Jon

--
Jonathan Jarrett, part-time bookseller's assistant & medieval historian
Pembroke Cambridge   "I flatter myself that we are almost the only people