Ultima Thule *IS* Wind of Change

Moonglum . sjyoules at VISTO.COM
Sun Oct 14 12:46:11 EDT 2001

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 17:52:59 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

>        The melody line from `Ultima Thule Teil 2' crops up again during
>`Fauni Gema' on _Atem_, I think, but I don't hear `Wind of Change' in it
>myself. It's not a particularly difficult chord sequence to replicate, I
>guess. But I think I know the bit on the end of `Alpha Centauri' that you
>mean and *that* I can see a similarity to `Wind of Change' in. I'm still
>not convinced it has to be a lift though; it's a fairly basic progression,
>surely, albeit used to great effect here by Mr Brock? Yours,
>                                                             Jon

Yeah, it is another one that is used a lot by HW.  Same basic chord
progression (if you forgive the odd minor, rather than major, chord here
and there, and the key in which it is set) is also in 7 By 7 and Lord of
Light.   It's not as prevalent as the "Magnu" chord progression, but IMHO
this is one of the things about HW that I most enjoy....the re-use of a
familiar riff in a completely different way, to create something new and
different.