OFF/HW: double bass...who's on first? what's on second?

Chris Gibbs chris at HAWKLORD.UKLINUX.NET
Sun Oct 14 18:39:26 EDT 2001

Hi ya,

Mark Edmonds wrote:

> Not sure I subscribe to that myself. I agree about the common chord
> sequences used in a lot of songs but narrow tonal intervals ? I'll bet the
> Hawks would have got a muted response if they had played Silver Machine in a
> quarter tone scale - interesting thought though! Anyway, fact is that unless
> you want to reinvent the electric guitar, you're stuck with semi-tones and
> surely the obvious harmonic root of all Hawkwind is "blues", not Eastern? -
> just think of Dave's busking songs.

What about violins, double basses etc that don't have frets... also
fretless bass guitars.  You don't have to reinvent the guitar.

A rare piece of music magik is hearing Yehudi Menuin play with Ravi
Shanka

I guess only Yehudi is (was) actually good enougth to make a violin
sound like a sitar!
If I remember right it was all the notes between the notes that made it
sound so fantastic.

Whilst basis of Hawks is blues they always go to other places so you get
something unexpected.

--
Plato, by the way, wanted to banish all poets from his proposed Utopia
because they were liars.  The truth was that Plato knew philosophers