HW: Huw Rejoins

alan day yadnala at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 15 06:34:16 EDT 2001

>From: iain ferguson <iainferguson at AOL.COM>
>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
>Subject: Re: HW: Huw Rejoins
>Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:39:04 +0100
>
>Hi Jon,
>
>I was well positioned at the RFH and thought Huw played a blinder... I was
>sutble when needed, and rocked out when needed, his interplay with Ali was
>great. and the nucleus of "2 stone, Ali and Huw " is awesome.
>
>I'm so glad that I get to eat my words of old on the subject <G>
>
>Regards
>iain
>
>Jon Jarrett wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, iain ferguson wrote:
> >
> > > last couple of times I've seen Huw he's been awful. The albums where
> > > he was under control "live 79, levitation and Sonic attack" are 20
> > > years old now..After those albums he tuned the band into some kind of
> > > heavy metal parody
> > >
> > > Can he still play in tune ?  has anyone seen any of his solo concerts
> > > or with his band ? what did it sound like ?
> > >
> > > Based on what I heard at Brixton and Croydon ( on video ) he has not
> > > left me with any confidence that he can play like he used to. Looking
> > > forward to good reports from the Canterbury gig so that these words
> > > will return to haunt me for eternity, And that what i've heard so far
> > > has just been a blip.
> >
> >         I saw him as acoustic support at the Astoria gig and with the
>band
> > at Canterbury, and of course just now at the RFH. Before that I saw him
>at
> > the Blackheath gig in 1997, and then I'd have agreed with every word you
> > said. I couldn't see the point of his LLB set, nothing there bar a nice
> > tune or two and an insistence on playing `Hurry on Sundown' twice
>because
> > the crowd and actually made some noise about that. e was good with the
> > Hawks themselves for the encore but then it was the first time Ron had
> > played bass with them live and Jerry was also settling into it as a
> > regular, so utter chaos was what we got, one of those fantastic gigs
>where
> > the Hawks somehow pull it all together and you come out on a massive
>high
> > from the sheer spontaneity of it. So he was OK, but not the legend, as
>it
> > were. And I thought nothing of his acoustic performance.
> >
> >         So, for the Hawkestra gig I missed his solo acoustic performance
> > because I thought it would be less fun than another pint would. This may
> > have been a mistake. Although given his performance with the main band
> > I'm not too sure about that. But at the Astoria he was spell-binding.
>I'm
> > still not sure how he did it. One man with a semi-acoustic guitar and an
> > almost unintelligible patter started with a hall of randoms chatting to
> > each other and inside twenty minutes had the whole audience sitting
> [...]
hello people,
I'm just writing to say I was upstairs at RFH and the sound  was much
clearer than down,(by all accounts).Huw is back where he belongs and I'm so
glad that the Hawkwind are bringing Simon and Huw together!
Huw guitar has always been cherished sound for me'the days in 85-88 when I'd
wait for Huw to 'give it some!!' at the T&C Kentish town.
His place cannot (and should not be) re-placed by anyone else.Either
Hawkwind have HUW on lead or they're better off with no-one filling the void
he leaves when he aint in the band.Alan.