Fwd: [hawkfan at blueyonder.co.uk: Your posting]

Ben Cohen ben at TMK.COM
Mon Oct 15 09:07:05 EDT 2001

f.rat sent the following to me and asked me to forward it. I am doing so, but
would like to add a comment or two:

1) I'm not accusing ANYONE, but it is bad form to forward (or excerpt) private
emails to a public forum. If you (the generic "you") are thinking about doing
so, please reconsider and get permission from the original sender.

2) If anyone feels like posting a message to the list that might be
indistinguishable from line-noise, you should, again, reconsider.

3) If you have something to post that you feel might be truly offensive to
some, think twice before posting it. If you still desire to post it (after
thinking twice), you might be well-advised to consider sending it directly to
me (<ben at tmk.com>) first to get approval for posting.

4) In general, I would like this silliness to stop, NOW. Anyone who has an
issue related to this, take it off-line and into private email or I will take
(continued) action.

Ben Cohen
moderator, BOC-L

----- Forwarded message from "f. rat" <hawkfan at blueyonder.co.uk> -----

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:03:09 +0100
From: "f. rat" <hawkfan at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: ben at tmk.com
Subject: Your posting

On behalf of Chris (not the injured party as he has breached a copyright
of mine) - the mail I sent was addressed to him personally and he
decided to bring his grudge to this group - which you will find is
inflammatory and inappropriate use of a music-based discussion group.

Further I was not referring personally to yourself in my comments on
free speech, simply employing the use of freedom of speech as the basis
of a discussion group to appeal to other group members of this,
hopefully, free and open, though moderated, forum.

I believe it is I who is owed an apology by "root" for his breaching
copyright but further using my joke e-mail to himself (check again my
dealing with the treatise brought to our attention by Mr Shipley,
referred to in my previous mail for how obviously deliberately
out-of-character and therefore intentionally humorous my mail to "root"
was) to attempt to blacken my character publicly. "root" quoted me twice
publicly in the group from private e-mails to himself without ever
deigning to reply directly to my mails, which I regard as extremely rude
not to say humourless - had he contacted me direct he could have
discovered the humorous nature of my intended "sting" regarding
copyright. You should also find that my "recovering my warp capability
craft" in my mail to him referred to in his posting, if not regarded as
a humorous aside, could only be seen as a non-valid inflammatory remark.
Would you be inflamed by someone threatening to steal a non-existent
space craft?

I would be more than grateful if you could print this reply in full on
your group, if only so that other members may get a balanced argument
regarding this whole sorry affair.

I apologise to your good self for my games and mails to you, my only
excuse is the form of racist bigotry found in Mr Shipley's forwarding of
someone else's text and the somewhat unhumorous and inflammatory
approach by "root" to my humorous reaction to his infringements of legal
copyright laws.

Sincerely

M Forster (a.k.a. f rat a.k.a. hawkfan at blueyonder.co.uk )

----- End forwarded message -----