OFF: Random Access / Bits between the Bytes

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon Oct 15 20:22:13 EDT 2001

Cellular Structure - Solar Axis

> I also heard that Phil Howard has a CDR about to be out,
> including some work with the Captain, etc.....

The CD-R is Cellular Structure - Solar Axis. There's no mention of Hawks
(other than Crum producing some tracks) but there are some live tracks on it
which apparently have other musicians in addition to PH playing. It's got a
very 70's kosmische sound and feel to it, very warm and analogue - all
instrumental (a few samples thrown in here and there), most of it is
synth-based pieces, but my favorite tracks add guitar and sometimes drums.
Both the music and musicianship attain a fairly high level on this one. I
like it quite a bit.

Project UFO

"Ezekiel saw the wheel. This is the wheel he said he saw."
I remember this one, 2 Air Force officers assigned to 'Project Bluebook',
set up by the military to study/report on/debunk UFO sightings and close
encounters. What I especially liked about this show was that sometimes they
found a natural cause for the phenomenom, sometimes they found out it was a
deliberate hoax, sometimes things were inconclusive, sometimes we were
clearly meant to believe that an actual sighting had occurred. The X-Files
could have learned a few things from this series.

ITN Logo

>The fanfare always accompanied the ITN logo spinning, so you were
>just seeing producer/network flash. It did always provide a call
>that something good was going to be on.

Was that the one at the start of the old Muppet Show? Something good indeed!

Marble Sheep - Stone Marby

I was incorrect about the Stone Marby version of Ancient Wind - it IS
actually based on the version on the Alchemy debut, but both of these tracks
are rather different from the demo and live versions on 'New From Old
Heads', and those 2 versions differ from each other as well. I'd say AW and
'Calling Back to Ancient Gods' are the tracks on Stone Marby that most
closely approach the old style MS material.

Minix

We used this in our course on Operating Systems in college, lo these many
years ago ... and as for the person looking for his PDP-11, we had it here
in the shop until the beginning of the year - but when we moved to a smaller
space, we just couldn't justify keeping it, and cannibalized it for parts.
The bulk of it is undoubtedly taking up space in a Jersey landfill...

Stephan