OFF/HW: double bass...who's on first? what's on second?

f. rat hawkfan at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Wed Oct 17 13:25:23 EDT 2001

> Mark Edmonds wrote:
>
> > Not sure I subscribe to that myself. I agree about the common chord
> > sequences used in a lot of songs but narrow tonal intervals ? I'll bet the
> > Hawks would have got a muted response if they had played Silver Machine in a
> > quarter tone scale - interesting thought though! Anyway, fact is that unless
> > you want to reinvent the electric guitar, you're stuck with semi-tones and
> > surely the obvious harmonic root of all Hawkwind is "blues", not Eastern? -
> > just think of Dave's busking songs.
> >
> > Mark

Thank you Ben! Having apologised for my sins, on with the show. Never mind Eastern
and Blues, what about nursery rhymes? In common with many great jazz (and other)
improvisers, Brock from time to time is forced to dig deep and throw in a little
line remembered in the earliest recesses, like the "ne-ne ne ner-ner" lines in
Orgone Accumulator. Far from detracting I think this adds wit and humour to songs
and performances, imo taking bands like the Hawks out of the dreary run-of-the-mill
metal rut inhabited by so many bands (not that Hawkwind could, also imo, ever have
trudged such dull furrows) and into a world where a touch of hilarity brightens
otherwise dull afternoons.

f rat