HW: Astoria 2000

J D Jeremy at DACOMBE.FSNET.CO.UK
Thu Oct 18 12:38:48 EDT 2001

Hi,
Yule Ritual CD is fantastic!
I'm not one who praises every HW release by a long chalk, but this one is great in almost every aspect.
I was at the gig and greatly enjoyed it then, and this really has captured the gig well.
As a live CD this is streets ahead of such recent ouput as Live 97, In Your Area (part), Love In Space, Business Trip, Reading 86, Live C, Complete 79, Masques Live etc (did I say "recent"?).
The sound is superb, and at long last we can hear Dave B doing what he does best.
I can't tell who's doing what on keyboards, so I'll just say that Tim & Keith are collectively superb.
Ron's delivery of Bob's Charisma songs are excellent.
Brilliant span of songs concentating on 78 - 81 with a few older ones (Sundown, Space, Sonic) and a few newer ones (Money Tree, Damage).
Moorcock's delivery via telephone from Texas has additional menace due to the media used.
This has refuelled my interest in the imminent tour which I was previously feeling rather indifferent about, after seeing them in April(?) at Rock City, which ranked as possibly the worst I had seen them in 50-odd times since 78.
Each song has been given a new lease of life, so it in no way feels like a "best of" gig.
A couple on superficial negative comments, front cover is pretty naff (the CDs themselves have better produced designs).
Track listing is accurate for the first time in years, BUT the vocal credits have got way out of sync somewhere along the line.
Maybe this happened when Hippy was removed and someone forgot to change the track numbers?
There's a photo of Huw on the sleeve, which is strange (as he only played support (if I remember correctly)), whilst there is no photo Tim.
I'll admit to getting confused about who played at which gigs of late due to the vast differences between Hawkestra, Astoria & April gig.
Anyway, back to my original point, which is that this a great release which certainly lays to rest "recent" misgivings I have had about the band.
Recent Canterbury & RFH reports have also been encouraging, so hopefully HW have at last found their form again and turned the vital corner.
Just gotta decide which gigs to attend now.
Jez