HW/NIK: Greasy Truckers Party 2001

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Oct 19 20:41:19 EDT 2001

Bill thought...

>I thought of the Police. Wasn't there a couple of connections there?

Uh, not really (at least I don't think so).  Yeah, Mike Howlett (Gong) was
the one who was responsible for getting Sting, Copeland, and Somers
(Summers) together originally - in the form of 90Sr (Strontium-90, "Cancer
in the Blood" is the Hawkwind reference there I suppose), as explained in
detail in the liner notes of said band's 'archival' disc of live and demo
songs entitled "Police Academy."

And Howlett is certainly linked quickly to HW by several different routes,
the most obvious being Tim Blake.

But I'm sure that's not it.
'Cause I like the Police, and Doug was sure we'd hate this band! :)

I don't know the answer I must admit, though I was imagining that it must be
some band on the order of Duran Duran (though it can't be *them*
certainly!). Don't know anything about that Knack idea either.

On a similar subject, didn't Swindells play in 'Pilot' or some such
miserable 80-s (late 70s?) type band?  (I don't remember *any* of that
band's songs, although I think they had one global 'hit' single that escapes
me.)  And of course, HLL played with Leo Sayer at one point.  What was
*that* all about.  I mean, some think Widowmaker was 'pants', but (although
I haven't listened to those LPs in a decade) I don't remember them being as
bad as the sort of Leo Sayer songs I remember on the radio.  And I think I
bought Widowmaker because of Luther Grosvenor (s silent, two syllables,
right?) more than Huwy, me being a Spooky Tooth fan before a Hawkfan IIRC.
Huwy's haircut was something to behold in those cover photos, I must admit.  :)

Grakkl (FAA)