HW/NIK: Greasy Truckers Party 2001

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Oct 19 22:19:55 EDT 2001

It's not either Bruce Gary, Billy Ward (no relation!) or Terry Bozzio (yes,
he is their current drummer!) of the Knack.

Nor is it Stewart Copeland of the Police (nice sleuthing work by Nick,
though - hats off to you!).

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:41:19 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>Bill thought...
>>I thought of the Police. Wasn't there a couple of connections there?
>
> ... But I'm sure that's not it.
>'Cause I like the Police, and Doug was sure we'd hate this band! :)

Good call!  I was never a big Police fan (although being in high school in
the early 80's, I heard 'em a LOT), but no, I would not expect the vast
majority of the list to hate them.

>I don't know the answer I must admit, though I was imagining that it must
>be some band on the order of Duran Duran (though it can't be *them*
>certainly!).

It's not them but yes, that's more on the right track (BTW Mike Howlett
also produced the first album or two by the Thompson Twins, before they
sucked, but it's not them either).  Back in the day, I probably thought
that this band was even worse than Duran Duran.

>Don't know anything about that Knack idea either.

The "famous" band (the one that most people will probably think sucked)
were less famous than the Police (who was?), but more famous than the Knack.

>On a similar subject, didn't Swindells play in 'Pilot' or some such
>miserable 80-s (late 70s?) type band?

Yep.  Pilot and String-Driven Thing.  I'm told that the mystery drummer was
brought in through an association with Steve, but I don't think that will
help anyone (except possibly Mike Coleman) identify him ...

>Huwy's haircut was something to behold in those cover photos,
>I must admit.  :)

PURE Nigel Tufnel ;^).  Better than the mullets he & Danny had in the 80's,
though ...

Fortunately, the mystery will be revealed in less than 24 hours (unless
Judge Trev spills the beans sooner).  And then I'll gladly fill in any
questions regarding the hints I've dropped ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com