HW/NIK: Greasy Truckers Party 2001

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Mon Oct 22 15:04:43 EDT 2001

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 04:13:46AM -0400, Doug Pearson wrote:
> >latterly of... pause... Culture Club.
>
> I would *love* it if someone on the list would step up and defend them
> against my prior defamation ... anyone?

Not me!  But then, Karma Chameleon was pretty catchy.

A lot of shit artists have done, like, one good song apiece.
Material Girl was a perfect 3-minute summation of the entire
decade.  Billie Jean.  Seems to me there was a Cure song I liked,
but I've managed to avoid even thinking of them for long enough
now that it's lost, hopefully forever.  My brother would have
Suspicious Minds and Born to Run on his list, but I'm not *quite*
so down on those guys...

I bet a lot of people for whom Depeche Mode are gods would say:
Spirit of the Age.

> (or at least convince me that they
> were better than Duran Duran?)

If DD had even one good song, I don't know it.  Q.E.D.

The only cool thing DD had going for them was their name.  Ditto
Heaven 17 (obscure movie references both).

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
The world has been attacked.  The world must respond ... [but] we must
be guided by a commitment to do what works in the long run, not by what
makes us feel better in the short run.
        - Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada