HW: RFH...a short review

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Oct 22 15:26:44 EDT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:15:29 -0400, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 05:22:46 -0400, Jobson, Eddie <EJobson at THRUPOINT.NET>
>wrote:
>
>>The Kings of Speed instrumental on the HW Zoo EP, where was that recorded?
>
>Don't know the answer to this one

It sounds to me like the backing track from the released version.  My guess
would be that it's a rough mix made after the instrumental tracking
sessions were finished, given to the singer (Brock) to practice vocals with
before recording them in the studio ... certainly a common recording
practice.

>>And lastly was Cpt. Lockheed ever released on CD?
>
>Yes. Friend of mine has it, I can get the details from him if you like.

As someone else said, on BGO in the late 80's.  BTW the lyrics to "The
Widow Song" were included in the booklet that came stapled into the
original gatefold LP package.  Apparently the reason why the song was never
released is that Nico (!!) was supposed to sing it, but for some reason
that fell through (does anyone know who sings the version on 'Friends &
Relations 3'?  Is that Jill Riches[sp?] Calvert?).  This would have been
entirely plausible, since in 1974 (the year Capt. Lockheed was recorded),
Brian Eno (who plays on the album ... credited by all 13 of his middle
names!) produced Nico's 'The End' LP and appeared with her at Kevin
Ayers' "June 1st, 1974" Rainbow concert with John Cale.  It's too bad that
didn't happen - it would have been very cool to have such a direct
Hawkwind/Velvet Underground connection ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com