HW/NIK: Nikestra

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Oct 22 18:43:16 EDT 2001

Jon Jarrett opined:
>Steve Swindells (oh dear lord no. He *cannot* play; keyboards, vocals)

I have to disagree!  I though Steve Swindells was out there doing a great job!

>         Thus the sound was very heavy. Four bass players. They really
>could have got one of them on rhythm guitar and it would have helped.

Nah, if your gonna have a rhythm guitar, you might as well replace it
with a bass anyway (cf. Lemmy :)

>         Then, heaven only knows why, Steve read a very bad poem which was
>probably called `Rock of Ages' given how many times that phrase cropped
>up. ABAB rhyme scheme, cod content, bad imagery, F-, see me. But
>anyway.

I'm going to completely disagree again :)  That poem sounded to me
like perfectly solid Mike Moorcock rip and was aboslutely spot on for
the vibe.  Super-pulp-cheese-space-opera, which was exactly what the
doctor ordered :)

>This was the only point at which I could actually hear Mick
>Slattery and he was soloing OK. Not great but not bad. Whether he did
>anything else of note I don't know.

Actually, I could hear him at several points -- we were just on the
wrong side of the stage to really be aware of what he was doing, I
think.  He did indeed keep it up OK, AFAICT.

>         I didn't manage to get my shout for `Orgone Accumulator' heard but
>someone else did and they did that! I was dumbfounded, not only a band
>actually playing requests from the floor but this band actually being
>rehearsed enough to get away with it!

Well, it really doesn't take long to get most of that material
knocked into shape .... :)

Cheers,
Carl

--