HW: Voiceprint

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Oct 22 18:16:12 EDT 2001

Hi Folks...

Someone was mentioning the deal that Voiceprint is offering, and
coincidentally I just received a catalogue in the mail promising that same
offer.  It says All CD's (herein) for UKP9.99 or 3 titles for UKP25 (P&P
included).  Which right now is a reasonable $36 or so ($12 per).  However, I
can tell from a mock order on the website that they expect more for overseas
shipping (says nothing about this in the catalog or order form).  And it
looks to me like it's UKP3 for the first CD, and UKP1 for each additional,
so then another five quid for a three-pack.  Which is still not bad...UKP30
being about $43-44, just under $15 per disc.

Now what's weird is that the *huge* number of titles advertised in the flyer
at these rates isn't available from the website (voiceprint.co.uk) from what
I can tell, though there they have a 'Hawkwind-only' sale offer (and two
other bands-The Fall & John Martyn) that is this same deal.  So it
apparently is no good to go there and expect to order all the special CDs
for a tenner that are listed in the print catalogue.  (Why?)  Normal prices
are UKP12.99, so not at all enticing at this rate.

Also, it seems as if the 'shopping cart' device isn't smart enough to
register the 'special offer' price on the Hawkwind discs (list below-this is
roughly the same as listed in the flyer under HW) if you order them from the
regular catalog listings, and so I guess you have to actually click the 'add
to cart' on that specials page in order for the thing to calculate it right.
And I couldn't do that since my browser didn't pick up the little boxes or
circles you were supposed to click on.  But anyway....

So I suppose if I really want to get this 3 for 25/30 quid deal on *all* the
titles, I hafta mail 'em back this order form???  Seems silly.  And for
those that didn't get one, I guess you might consider going to their website
and filling in your name and address for a free catalog (right there on the
home page).  Or has somebody emailed them to ask about whether you can order
these electronically at the discounted prices?

For those that don't have a catalogue in front of them, it sure looks like
most of the label is right here (barring double length things like Astoria,
and the brand new Brock 'Memos & Demos' (single disc) (which is in fact
listed on the website now - see
http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/hawkwind/hawkvp20.htm)...anybody get this yet? I
assume this is '7696' (just as I'm still assuming that 'SpaceBrock' was
'Looking for Love in the Lost Land of Dreams').  I love how these titles
never stick.

Anyway, some of the things offered at discount look hard to pass
up...including Gong's "Gong est Mort" (I thought this wasn't even *ON* CD
yet?), Didier Malherbe's "Bloom" and "Faton-Bloom" (the latter with the guy
from Zao?  How are these?), the Weird CDs I don't already have, the Paradogs
album, Huwy's "Like an Arrow" (I dunno, I like this album), and Pink
Fairies' "King of Oblivion."  I think I could probably come up with a
package of six from these that would be a good deal at 50UKP plus 8UKP P&P
($14 per CD).

I guess this is a
'economy-is-slow-because-of-the-recession-made-worse-by-the-WTC' sale, just
as cars are being sold over here with 0% interest.  Anyway, I'm going to
take advantage of it, whether I have to send a letter to the UK or not.
BTW, what is airmail postage these days?  I think it went up from 50c to 60c
or something in the last year, didn't it.

Grakkl (FFA)
P.S.  Something about MQB/Harvey to come shortly.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/offers.htm

- Traveller Field Glastonbury
- Weird Tapes 1: Sonic Assasins - Dave Brock
- Weird Tapes 2: Hawkwind Live - Hawklords Studios
- Weird Tapes 3: Free Festivals
- Weird Tapes 4: Live 1978
- Weird Tapes 5: Live 1976-1977
****Didn't someone say that Weird 6 was reprinted? (KAH)****