OFF: Lame 80s pop teen horror

Moonglum . sjyoules at VISTO.COM
Tue Oct 23 12:57:29 EDT 2001

I have been watching this topic with interest, and glad to see that you
have finally explained/justified your deep knowledge of crap 80's pop bands
Nick!  (Facking hippy!!)  As for myself, er, well, I was in my early 20's
at the time, and err...

To go back to the original question, i.e. which were worse out of Duran
Duran and Culture Club: "Sir, there is no settling the point of precedency
between a louse and a flea." (-the always apposite Dr. Samuel Johnson)

Personally I think Duran Duran were a better band with an execrable
vocalist.  Culture Club were a shite band but Boy George once had it in him
(!) to be a great white soul vocalist.  Their best effort, IMHO, being Time
(Clock of The Heart).

The other thing to consider is that Boy George went to Crown Woods school
in Eltham, South-East London.  Duran Duran were, I believe, from
Birmingham.  Draw your own regionally-biased conclusions if you have them...

I saw the Cure way down on the bill at Reading 79...when they were
playing "10.15 Saturday Night" etc.. Robert Smith did not have a chest wig
in those days...they were better than most of the other bands.  Motorhead
suffered the indignity of going on BEFORE The Tourists, who were precursors
to Eurhythmics.

And John Peel, who DJ'd, played "Life Form" and "Infinity" from the just-
released PXR5 album...

Steve

<<<SNIP>>>