OFF: what was it with the 80s...?

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Oct 24 21:19:43 EDT 2001

In message <200110242111.RAA22217 at mail5.uts.ohio-state.edu>, K
Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> writes

I agreed with nearly all of this, except...

>(Joy Division I tried out awhile back - had never heard before.  Omigod!

and...

> Husker
>Du,        who were just sort of 'ok'
>anyway).

Joy Div- great band IMHO, (although the remnants- i.e. New Order- rapidly
lost it). But check out "Exercise One", "A Means To An End", "Dead
Souls", "New Dawn Fades"... these songs are icy forbidding works of art each
one... IMHO of course. However they were not an 80s band- Ian Curtis did
the deed in 1978.

Husker Du- just sort of OK?? Shurely shome mishtake!! I mean, I can see
why Joy Div might not float your boat, but the Huskers were one of the very
few truly great bands of that era IMO. At least listen to the "Warehouse"
album, or "The Living End" live one, except now you'll say you already
have, so I guess it's just not your thang. Fair enough. I saw them live once,
they were incendiary.
--
Nick Medford