Off: MQB

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Oct 25 20:15:51 EDT 2001

(realizing that this wasn't addressed to me, I'm still compelled to reply
and offer up my unsolicited uninformed opinion)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:14:17 +0100, ANDREW GARIBALDI
<andygee at DIAL.PIPEX.COM> wrote:
>I just LOVE this album!!!
>Face it, psych fusion is not your thang,is it!!!

In my case (sadly), that's mostly true.  Gong excepted, of course!  And
Alien Planetscapes, since they either really rock out, or get verrrrry
weird.  Actually, as long as it's heavy or weird enough (neither of which
applies to the two bands in the next paragraph), it's fine by me.  The
various W.O.O. bands definitely fill both categories nicely!

>Altho' you like Ozrics don't you, and what about Melting Euphoria?

Again, sadly, two bands I never really warmed to (apologies to all who
would label me a heretic for my opinion of the former!).  I dug the first
few Ozrics tracks I heard on various late-80s compilations, but none of
their albums that I heard did much for me.  At least Melting Euphoria got
considerably better (and I never saw them early enough that Don Falcone was
still in the band) when Bob Clic (ex-Lewd) joined on guitar and their
female singer performed less.  Interestingly, Bob's son works on the staff
at the rehearsal space where I play in a band whose guitarist was in a band
contemporary to the Lewd back in the early 80's.  Actually, I think Bob's
son is playing (drums?) in the re-formed Lewd, while nary a peep has been
heard from Melting Euphoria in some time (don't ask me!?!) ...

... I guess that means I probably would feel about the same way about
Mister Quimby's Beard as Mike does :^( ... except that I'd probably be
reaching for the Pagans (whose keyboardist on their debut album, Chas
Smith, will be at Strange Daze in Einstein's Secret Orchestra ... sadly yet
another band that doesn't quite float my boat ... sorry to be so negative!)
rather than Fearless Iranians From Hell, but that's splitting hairs.

I'll still have to listen to some of the stuff on their website ... and I'm
sure I'd still really enjoy their set if I was going to be at Strange Daze
this weekend.  But I'm not :^(.  Have fun, everyone who is!!!

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com