HW: RFH...a short review

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Oct 29 02:31:32 EST 2001

Doug P. replied...

>>Also liked Lighthouse, Motorway City, Hurry on, A&B and Golden
>>Void. Was a bit dissapointed with New Jeruselem and thought Alan singing
>>lead on Ejection was a definate no no. I liked it better with Dave.
>
>Unfortunately, with Ron no longer in the band, I think they need to re-
>evaluate doing very many Calvert songs - no one else who's attempted it
>(Dave, Nik, Alan, Harvey, Bridget ... I think that's all? [I won't count
>capt. Rizz at SD98]) can sing them as well as him.  Although, that being
>said, I think Alan does a good job on "Damnation Alley" and "Hassan i
>Sahba" (but NOT "Ejection"), Dave is great with "The Right Stuff" (he does
>it better than he does "Ejection" IMO), Nik has practically made "Orgone
>Accumulator" his own (and does "Ejection" better than Dave), and hearing
>Bridget sing "Reefer Madness" in 1990 was a real treat!

To follow in this thread, I think the worst setlist decision was in 1995 (or
was is 1991?) when 'The Age of the MicroMan' (Dave singing) was deleted from
the set after the first two gigs in Toronto & St. Catharines (I think).
That was brilliant IMHO. Do good quality tapes exist of that version?  Did
they ever do that any other time in the 90s?

As far as what we would like to see on the new album?  Well, it wouldn't be
Hawkwind if it didn't have some recycled lyrics now, would it?  :)
Actually, I rather like the 'reusing' of certain things (see 'Mask of
Morning') and I wouldn't mind some new attempts at bringing back some
familiar motifs, twisted and modified to fit the 'Death Generator' theme.  I
don't know the story...what might be viable fodder?  On the subject of
Electric Tepee, what's the deal with this remastered version on Castle?  I'm
sure it was discussed here already - but I wasn't paying any attention.  Any
reason to get it?  What's in the booklet?

Grakkl (FAA)