OFF: RE: HW: Mission Control: New Orders

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Oct 30 14:22:41 EST 2001

At 10.00 +0000 01-10-30, Richard Lockwood wrote:
>  > The Mac IE is far, far better than the Windows version
>?!
>HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!
>Oh - I see Carl.  You mean "much better" in the "doesn't work properly"
>sense, yes?
>:-)

;)  No, I mean, it's actually much better than the Windows version.
I really didn't want to believe that myself, but I'm afraid I've had
no choice.  Having had used various iterations of Netscape and IE on
both platforms (Win and MacOS) virtually every day, either at work or
at home, for the last several years, I have to say that my findings
are that IE works better on a Mac than on a Windows PC.  For that
matter, the Mac versions of MS Office from 98 onwards have been
better than the Windows versions.

Seriously.

I attribute this to three factors: 1) the Mac versions usually come
out significantly after the Windows versions, so the MS Mac team has
a chance to get rid of all the dumbass things the Windows programmers
did; 2) The Mac versions are bolted to stupid things in Windows :)
and 3) based on conversations with some of some of my mates who work
in variously the Redmond and Cambridge, UK offices, the MS Mac team
is generally regarded as having their shit together.  There's still
plenty of bollocks in MS Mac products because, well, they _are_ MS
products ;)  But not nearly as much in the Windows versions.

I'm still liking OmniWeb quite well on OS X.1 though :)

Cheers,
Carl

ObCD: Gov't Mule, _The Deep End: Vol. 1_
--
Carl Edlund Anderson
mailto:cea at carlaz.com
http://www.carlaz.com/