OFF: Fun with PhotoShop and Hawkwind's take on intellectual property

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Oct 30 14:36:29 EST 2001

At 13.51 -0500 01-10-30, Moonglum . wrote:
>Dave Brock was asked a similar question on one of the IRC chats -
>specifically about CDR trees.  He said something along the lines of "the
>problem is that it deters major labels from offering Hawkwind a record
>deal" and that "unfortunately the artist often has to pay to play"

Hmmm, I certainly can't think of any bands who permit -- nay,
encourage! -- fan recording and have scored major label contracts, as
well as seen tremendous success with big-selling tours ....

Oh, wait, yes I can think of loads, actually ;)

I rather suspect the vast flood of dodgy recordings from various
sources that have come out over the years have something to do with
Hawkwind not getting a major label contract. Since a punter who knows
nothing about the band or its releases walks into a shop and can't
tell the difference between a pile of dire recordings from
gods-know-what-label and a totally brilliant gem of an album just by
looking -- well, no major label is going to go there!

Since the whole Hawkestra reunion angle fell through (over the course
of several years), my guess is that only through a few years of
hardcore touring, playing brilliant shows, and releasing a few
cooking albums on small labels (or on their own) will Hawkwind have
much chance of getting major label contracts and support.  And the
fact is that all the evidence points to an open taping policy aiding
that process -- there are any numbers of bands who've taken that
route in the last decade or so and done very well by it indeed.

All IMO, but I'd be willing to bet on it :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson