HW: OFF: SD2001

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Oct 31 02:35:31 EST 2001

Checking up on my confusion,

>>Most obscure cover tune - Rick Ray (obviously a Hendrix/Trower freak - he
>>played Too Rolling Stoned as proof of the latter, and an excerpt of Third
>>Rock as proof of the former) doing Mick Bolton-era UFO's song "Catch a
>>Falling Star" or whatever the title is.  A couple of us recognized it too
>>(though I couldn't remember who it was until he announced it at the end
>>admittedly).  Somewhere I have a copy of "Space Metal."  Prince Kajuku is a
>>wonder.
>
>maybe it was Heavy Liquid (Blue Cheer/MC5-type power trio) that did the UFO
>tune?  I dunno...Jerry took the notes, he'll do the proper review, wontcha
>Jerry?

OK, well yes it was Heavy Liquid.  And duh...the song they did *was* Prince
Kajuku, the one I remember I liked from 'Space Metal,' which is just (of
course) a compilation double-LP from UFO's first 3 albums (one live).  I
think the track in question was from UFO 2, but not sure about that.  Man, I
hadn't pulled out that old album in a decade I bet.  UFO was pretty cool,
even before Schenker arrived on the scene.  A bit of trivia - Bernie Marsden
replaced Mick Bolton before Schenker joined.  So there's a UFO - Hawkwind
link via the Marsden connection to Paice, Ashton, and Lord, and the Paul
Martinez connection from PAL to Richard Strange and hence, Martin Griffin.
I'm guessing there are others, maybe with Pete Way or something.  Can't
remember who was in that 'Waysted' band he had in that awful 80s period.
They were pretty damn bad from what I remember.  Jerry tells me Pete Way
lives here in Columbus now!  That's whack!

Grakkl (FAA)

ObCD: Into the Abyss - adrenochrome (Anyone else know this band?  They're
really good!)