HW: Metal Shield number? (was Re: HMV Oxford Street)

Frank Weil frankw at STC.CORP.MOT.COM
Fri Sep 7 15:42:53 EDT 2001

>From: Mick Crook <m.j.crook at TALK21.COM>
>Subject: Re: HW: Metal Shield number? (was Re: HMV Oxford Street)
>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
>
>Frank wrote:
>>How can you tell what number you have? My metal shield only has the
>>number "2" stamped / etched into the lower left corner on the back. I
>>can't find any other numbers on it. Am I missing one somewhere or do I
>>have number 2?
>
>As already pointed out, the label stating the number of the shield is
plainly visible, and situated in a recess in the casting itself. If
yours has the recess but no label maybe it came adrift, but mine (like
Mike C's) has an upsidedown 1 in the bottom corner not 2  - are there 2
kinds of shield out there?

As far as I remember, mine never had the label. To make a long story
relatively short, I got mine directly from Griffin. One of the Griffin
employees from the Canada office was coming down to Chicago to stop by
the local office. Rob Godwin had my shield sent with the employee, who
then stopped by the warehouse of ALIEN Distribution (owned by Rob's
sister-in-law Marietta) in Lombard, where I picked it up (and also got a
chance to browse the warehouse shelves and pick up many CD's at a great
discount). Many thanks still go out to Marietta!

This was very soon after the shields first came out. Either the label
got lost in transit, they did not yet have the labels to put on, or they
were putting them on later in the process and mine was pulled before
that.

As for the '2', which is also upside down, instead of the '1', the
mystery thickens...

Frank

--
Cogito Eggo Sum -- "I think, therefore I am a waffle."
      Frank Weil | Frank.Weil at motorola.com
   phone: (847) 576-3110 | fax: (847) 576-3280